Chapter 17

Head Guard's POV ---

They think that they are so smart. Oh yes, I saw them slip out that back door, and run out into the forest. What they don't know is that 3 of my best men and I are right behind them. I see them now. They are standing by an Oak Tree catching their breath.

I motion to my fellow Guards to move in and seize the man. 1...2...3! We jump out and they get the man, and I grab Cassia.

She screams and is kicking, thrashing wildly. I push her to the ground, and her face lands in the dirt. I put the handcuffs I was given on her wrists, and the other men put their handcuffs on the boy.

"Take the bags and mutt," I spit at the man that isn't holding anyone.

Just then, the rest of The Guards catch up to us with a dragon, Alexander, and a carriage. Alexander gets on the Dragon and all of The Guards and the captives get into the Carriage and follow them. I am so happy that I have caught the Princess! I'm practically smiling from ear to ear. The Queen will be so over-joyed. And I will live in victory, forever.

Cassia's POV ---

I feel so empty. Not only did I get myself caught, I got Jeff caught too. I'm going back to life I left. I don't want to. I'll die if I stay there.

Jeff and I are thrown into the middle, and the cluster of Guards surround us so that we can't escape. They fling open the doors, and the Head Guard goes up to my Mother and Father. He's so full of himself. Does he think he'll get eternal glory or something? Phmph. He'll go no more than a gravitational "Thanks."

"Your Majesties, I promised you I would stop at nothing to find The Princess. No Forest, or dragons, or branches, or mazes, or vines, would keep me from fulfilling my Quest. And alas, I have brought her to you. But, she was with another. This boy....Um, what would you like me to do with him?"

"Thank you," says my Mother.

"Throw the boy in the Dungeon," my Father says.

"NO!" I yell. My Father just shakes his head at me. He's disappointed. I don't care. Anger boils up inside me until it's flowing out my ears.

"Take him away," my Mother says.

Two guards take him away to the dungeon and the look he gives me brings tears to my eyes. I promised him we would be together. I promised him I loved him. I promised him we would be okay. I promised that we would have a good, happy life. I promised him my forever. Now all of that is ruined. It can never be fixed.

"You can release her," my Mother orders. They do, and she motions for me to come to her. I walk up reluctantly to her and stand beside her. She puts her hand on my shoulder, gently, and then says, "Thank you for all your help, gentlemen. You may return to your normal positions."

The look on The Head Guard's face is hilarious. He looks stunned. He really is too full of himself.

"Go. NOW!" my Mother roars.

Her loud voice scares them and they scurry out of the room closing the door behind them.

I whip around and push her hand off of my shoulder. "HOW COULD YOU? I WAS FINE! I DON'T WANT TO BE APART OF THIS LIFE! IT ISN'T FOR ME! I WANT TO BE NORMAL, TO HAVE A REAL LIFE! WHY DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND THAT? THAT MAN THEY TOOK AWAY, I LOVE HIM! WE ARE GOING TO GET MARRIED AND HAVE A HAPPY LIFE!" I yell so infuriated.

"Cassia...." my Mother tries to interject, but I don't let her.

"NO YOU LISTEN! I DON'T WANT THIS LIFE! I GET IT THAT YOU CARE ABOUT ME! BUT I DON'T.... WANT.....any of it," I roar and at the end I am crying.

Anger, fire, pulsates through me. I am radiating with heat, and I'm piping mad. I have never been this angry. I hate them... in this moment. I know I shouldn't, BUT I DO. Then, Ice, coldness takes over. It surges through my veins, all over my body. Until it finally reaches my heart. It turns to Stone. I am then so cold and empty, that I don't have any fight left in me. I collapse to the ground on the steps in a heap, and stare vacantly into nothingness.

"Cassia...." says my Mother stroking my hair lovingly. "Let me explain. We want what is best for you. I realize that it was wrong to force you into this role that you had no interest in being in. I want you to live your own life, full of adventure and excitement. To have a family. To find your way." I realize then that my Father is sitting next to me, and that they are serious.

"You can go and live back in the Forest, with the man and your dog. Just...." she trails. "Try to come back and visit," she says, tears filling her eyes.

Just then Jeff comes back in. He realizes we are in the middle of something, and waits by the door awkwardly.

"Thank you," I say. "I love you so much." I pull them both into a group hug. And we hug and cry for a long time. Finally they let me go.

I wave and kiss them goodbye, and promise to visit. Sophie, Jeff, and I all leave with are things and head to Dragon Transport. I take them on a tour of The Castle, first. I think Jeff deserves to know where I came from.... and why I left in the first place.

Finally, we make it to Dragon Transport, and we walk up to Alexander.

"We'd like to go back to the clearing," I say giddily.

"Very well, Ma'am," Alexander smiles.

We get on Firebolt, and ride off into the night. The ride is way better this time because Jeff is here, his strong arms around me, keeping me on Earth. When we land, I Thank Alexander and tell him I forgive him for selling me out to the guards. He says goodbye and tells us he is happy for us and Congratulations on our new life. He leaves, and Jeff and I start walking into the Forest.

He picks me up, and I put my arms around his neck. I giggle like an idiot but I don't care because I am literally the happiest person in the world. He sets me down in a rocking chair, and I put Sophie on my lap. We hold hands and sit there quietly. I don't know what he is thinking about.... but I am not thinking about the past, or even right now. I am focused totally, soulfully, and completely on our future.

Hey guys! Thanks so much for reading! Comment, Vote, Like! You are the best. So this is the end of the book! Please give feedback in the comments. I know this book is kind of short, but oh well. I love you all so much, and don't forget to check out my other book, "Chasing Me."

Love you,

-dance4ever12