Chapter 24

Ava's POV

9:00 PM

"Here, I got you some tea." Jack handed me the cup of hot tea and sat next to me on the sturdy log. We were in the background of our cabin. Everyone else was meeting us here in about five minutes but, Jack and I decided to have some quiet time.

"Thanks," I greeted him softly and looked at the flickering hearty fire. I could see fireflies all around us. I felt a wave of coldness when my blanket fell off of my shoulders. "Here, I got it." Jack insisted and planted the blanket back on my shoulders.

"Thanks, again." I joked with him as he quietly laughed. It was all silence from us. He didn't ask me about earlier. "Jack, I'm okay." I reassured him, laying my head on his broad shoulder. He rubbed my arm and kissed my head.

"I was scared, I didn't wanna lose you. You're a great friend of mi-"

"Excuse me? FRIEND??!!?" I stood up from his embrace and out of my seat. "Ava-"

"Friends don't hug like that, and friends don't fucking look at each other like that. The look that is full of love and lust." I spat at him and poured my hot tea on his head. Resulting him yelling in pain. "Ava! We're nothing but fake boyfriend and girlfriend." He pulled me back to reality.

He was right, definitely right. I turned my back on him with my arms across my chest. "You need to stop acting so childish, it's really ruining the tr-"

"I didn't have to invite you on this trip Jack. Keep in mind I brought you to Ohio and I can sure as hell take you out of it." I responded back at him. He scoffed, "Keep in mind, Imma guest."

I turned around and saw him smirking. I walked to him and placed my index finger on his chest, "You don't treat me as a friend. You walk around like you are some popular fuckboy jock who can get girls with just a wink. Well, try harder. Just because you're famous and you give 14 year olds those hormonal orgasms when you body roll, doesn't mean you can come in here and treat me like I'm your girl. If you want me to be your friend, then be ready." I finished my spiel and walked back to the house, stomping.

I slammed the back door and saw Nana and Johnson giggling with s'mores in their mouths. I groaned, why is everyone acting so happy???

I stomped to the front door, "Sweetie what's-"

"I don't wanna talk about it." I bluntly said and slammed the door and sat on the porch steps. Everyone was by the lakeshore dancing and singing. Having a good ass time.

Jack fucking killed my vibe. What a mood-killer. I sighed with exhaustion and felt someone next to me, Addie. She was drinking a Root Beer. "You okay?" She asked me with worry.

"Nope." I replied back and pressed my fingers on my temples. "Why?" She simply asked back.

"Boys." I single-worded answered and took her pop and swig of the soda. "Lemme guess, Jack?" She raised an eyebrow.

"You have no idea..." I laughed with sarcasm. "He thinks it's okay to treat me like I'm his only. Like I'm his girl. A-and it's pissing me off because I truly really do like him and it's been like that for awhile now. And then, not even two minutes ago, he just said I was a 'great friend'." I gushed to Addie. She let out a 'mhm'.

"What?"

"I find it funny, you sound like someone I knew from high school.."

"Oh don't even get me STARTED on that. I've changed! I don't go for those type of guys anymore." I retorted back, swishing the Root Beer around.

"Oh of course! Please do look me in the eye and say Jack Gilinsky is NOT a player!" She tested me. I backed down and mumbled, "Fine."

"Look, I know you Ava Marie. And I know Jack. You guys like each other. It's not your time yet to realize that. The emotional AND sexual tension between you two? Too much. I see the way he looks at you. He was just afraid of saying something like 'i want to be with you' type of sentence. You're acting too dramatic, again-"