Chapter 5 - The Defection

The Present Times

World Defense Federation (WDF)

Greenland

Somewhere in the snowy outskirts of Greenland lies the city-like structure of the World Defense Federation (WDF) headquarters in great perimeter; a complex maze of architecture infused with high-technology. The gargantuan complex extends miles below the ground, housing hangars after hangars, and a few kilometres above ground.

A typical day for the WDF HQ would be snowstorms, battle alerts, trainings, and a few recreations for its thousands of in-house army men and women. It had been that way since the beginning of the alien invasion 10 years ago; a war that has been nothing but aimless and never-ending. Today however an unprecedented occurrence threw the routine out of its loop.

Yes, for the first time, it isn't a typical day for the WDF.

Today, Professor Waldo Kinski, the world's prime genius and the WDF's brain of armament technology, is hailed missing.

They would have dismiss it as another hide and seek being pulled by the professor much the same as what he did many years ago when he opted to become a hermit due to his 'personal' issues, but nowadays the WDF could not afford such an act when the security of the world lies in the old genius' hands and in his mind.

The entire camp's on red alert, officials on high seats are left restless and on edge. Kinski gone missing is by all means a world disaster.

For Kinski holds some of the world's important secrets---he is the only key to the world's powerful weapons and defense systems against the alien invaders.

"I'm telling you all, the old wretch has done the inevitable!" Mr. Sung Jong Hee, the Korean President, insinuated vehemently to his fellow head of nations seated round General Dunreft's oval conference table. On a short notice, all the Presidents and Prime Ministers had flown from different parts of the world for this emergency meeting presided over by General Maxwell Dunreft, the appointed head of two dominant Earth institutions: the World Government and the WDF, collectively known as the System.

"Gentlemen, for all we know, Kinski is just pulling another 'slipping into oblivion act' like he did a few years ago," British Prime Minister Hutchison offered. "We cannot say he defected for certain,"

"Defected? Why would he do that?" President Cornwall of Australia questioned derisively. "And how would he do that? And how is that even possible? How would he leave the premises of WDF without us knowing? How could he bring himself to the enemy's stronghold when they are utterly untouchable?"

"We are talking about Kinski here, the genius! Nothing may be impossible for that man!" the Japanese representative pointed out.

"We all know the why," responded the Singaporean president to Cornwall. "He himself gave us the idea. As to how is what stumps us from the theory,"

"Well, for all we know, Kinski might have stumbled upon a way to be in conference with these silent invaders. Who knows what covert conspiracy they have come up with," theorized the Canadian president, Albert Townsend.

"That's jumping too far ahead, Mr Townsend," thwarted the British prime minister.

"One thing is clear here. Kinski is practically insane and we all realized that from recent events. His head needed to be downright screwed tight because his brain's overloaded," the Russian president minced. "I'd say he has made good on his threat and this we should investigate!"

"Then indeed if the assumption that Kinski defected is true, we all know what this means," shared the US President.

"It would spell the end of the world," concluded Germany's President despondently.