Chapter 11 - The Briefing

The rooms prepared for the delegates were lavishly ornamented and themed with relaxation and leisure. Despite the serious agenda of the WAC, it was made to feel like a holiday. Alec just learned earlier about the recreation amenities that grazed one of the floors of the airship. Phil shared to him that it's a tactic to highlight the prestige of the WAC and enthuse more achievers. They also learned that the whole airship structure is five-storey soccer stadium huge. Each floors seemed to have appointed purposes; the top floor being the symposium site.

Their room is masculine and well equipped. There were two beds and a Visual Comlink for external and internal communication is built-in. These Comlinks are hi-tech but any WDF militiaman would know that it's not hi-tech enough to link up with the sophisticated communication network system of the System.

Alec was lying on one of the beds, looking up the ceiling with his hands behind his head. "I didn't tell her who I am, Phil," he was saying to Phil.

"Good. Keep it that way," said Phil, not even looking up from his little laptop computer he brought with him from Sybil. He would be busy with communication reports to HQ, in hacking the WAC's database to locate 'the girl', and in structuring the report complete with diagrams and what-nots. Alec deduced. He thought it paranoid. The mission is so simple: get the girl. And it's not even like kidnapping.

It's early dawn on their second day on the ship. They were up early not only because of military routine but because Phil wanted to start early with the mission.

"We can't jeopardize this mission. We have to remain anonymous here. Not a single real information about us should leak out. We have to protect the affairs of the WDF. Any single movement of the System is highly confidential. I'm sorry Alec but this mission is not an opportunity to socialize," Phil went on lecturing. 'So you can't be bragging about your heroics in Alaska to that girl."

Alec sighed in disdain. Yeah, of course, that's how it is.

"But what if we see someone we know and who knows us? You know I came from Harvard...drop-out nonetheless, but the point is--" he contended.

At that, Phil finally looked up and sat upright, cutting him off. "Fact is, Archer, it wasn't by chance that you were chosen for this mission. The WDF will not entrust a mission just for the sake of punishment---especially not for this mission. It's just by coincidence that you're on suspension. You were actually a candidate for this mission because in your profile and oath of allegiance, you stated that only your brother knew that you join the WDF. Further background check reinforced that. And we are banking on the fact that you went to Harvard, dropout nonetheless, so you'll know what you'll be talking about. And we don't believe a lot of people would know you from Harvard. You barely attend your classes. However in the event someone does recognize you, hence the cue cards, as you know."

"Wow, you guys are freaky," Alec said, referring to the Intelligence Division. He exhaled. Phil is making a big deal out of this secrecy thing, he thought. 

"Where are you going?" Phil asked when Alec suddenly got up.

"I'm getting bored in here while you are doing your thing. Can I do some sightseeing?"

"Come back in an hour. We're going to do some more briefing about this mission."

Alec walked out of the room into the long corridors. Seven months into the service and this is the first time he's been out of Sybil. Military life hasn't really gone into his veins yet. Seven months is too raw. He joined the WDF not for anything but to escape his father and his life. So far he hasn't regretted that decision. The WDF has become his home, at least for the time being.

Ah, his family never knew that he has enlisted himself in the WDF up until now. They probably don't care much about him ever since he abandoned his father's wishes for him to finish business school. Ah, he is such a rebel. He can't help it. But then again, he doesn't know where he can be good at. Military life seemed to be a good course. If there is anything that he found out about himself in the past 7 months, is that he has a strong sense of duty. To what, he doesn't know. To protect something or someone is the only thing he can pin down. The only time he felt he has a purpose is when he is up in space in battle. Oh but how he hated protocols! Perhaps growing up in the lap of luxury made obedience a bit of a challenge for him.