Chapter 21 - Battle Skies

The air space around the large floating fortress, against the deep blue sea below and bright daylight, was pictured like a swarm of flies littered with mini explosions here and there. A figure in a dark cloak in a dark room stood over the large holographic aerial screen projection. He could see a number of casualties on their side, as always. Earth has always proven themselves better skilled at space combat, not that it matters. They are not here to subdue Earth.

"My lord, we have succeeded. The key is now in our hands," came a voice report.

"Bring her at once and retreat," spoke the cloaked figure in its language. His intense voice echoing in the empty confines of the dark room. "And make sure to destroy their floating fortress."

"Yes, my lord."

'What a pitiful planet,' the cloaked figure thought. 'Now you will be paying for your impertinence."

****

What was that?

Private Alfred Garrison had seen the tube of light emanating from a larger enemy ship that extended about a few kilometres towards the airship. This ship had ploughed through the littered skies guarded by enemy pods and positioned itself parallel to the airship before blasting out that light streak.

"Everyone saw that?" Private Jan Lopez's voice came through the coms as an enemy pod tried to stomp on Garrison's robotic armour from above. Garrison met that oncoming assault with an upper punch of his metal fist, sending it flying away as Garrison blast it out with firepower using his back detachable firearm. It exploded in four pieces.

"Looks like they were really after something in the airship, refraining from hurting it all this while!" said Private Hugh Nguyen.

"That ship is retreating. Falcons, don't let it escape," came their squadron leader's voice, Luke Johnson. "Intercept at all costs!"

A group of enemy pods had gathered around the rock-like ship as it thrusters flared from underneath, preparing to blast away into the distance.

"Pursue and capture," the lieutenant went on.

"Sir, something's happening," Garrison cut in. "They are now assaulting the airship."

Everyone looked on and could see what Garrison meant. The enemies broke their current formation and has fully turned their attention to the airship. They could see some of the pods breaking through the glasswalls by stabbing in their entry with their metal tentacles. A few others were darting around, firing against it, shattering the glass walls whilst the metal walls and framework buckled, holed and crumpled against the firepower.

The airship, suspended in the air and moving in an easterly direction, was looking utterly helpless and defenseless against the bombardment. Somehow, the formidable great structure doesn't look like it is going down easily. It sat quiet and passive but the structure prove to be holding its own... but not forever...

'The civilians...the students in it! Alec and Lieutenant Wilson!' thought Garrison. He could already see a few escape pods dislodging from underneath the airship but he deduced a thousand more will still need to be evacuated.

"My God, they got what they need from the airship, whatever it is!" exclaimed Lopez.

"Falcons, defend the Cyrus!" Lt. Johnson roared a re-direction and all the pilots pulled away from their positions.

"You mean to help rescue the civilians, Sir?" Private Nguyen decided to check.

"Yes," came the answer after a quick pause on the line. For the first time in WDF history, they will be directly involved in civilian situations.

The falcons and all the other squadrons began blasting away the critters that plagued the airship and seemingly hell bent on destroying it.

'These guys...like they have a vendetta or something..." Garrison contemplated in his mind...

And Garrison took out one that was clamped on the exterior wall by landing with a force kick on it's head...

Note from the author:

This is the shortest chapter so far. Just want to be able to show what is going around. The clincher is coming up in the next chapter. Sorry if it's a bit haphazard. I just don't want to spend to much time on this chapter right now.

Please don't forget to comment/ vote.

Thank you,

Charley