Chapter 9 - All Aboard

World Academic Convention (WAC)

The outskirts of Canberra, Australian Capital Territory

The great monumental glass-covered structure of the glinting Cyrus reflected against the lenses of Alec Archer's dark shades on their approached.

"Wow! It's amazing!" he declared of the diamond-shaped building that is the size of a football stadium - the great, hot, dry and sandy expansive Australian desert as its backdrop.

Alec accelerated the car in excitement.

"Definitely," Phil calmly remarked beside him. "The Cyrus is built for the prestigious WAC. It should therefore be made extraordinary. To mark the World Government's advocacy of worldwide academic excellence, the venue among other things should emphasize that,"

Phil was only reiterating what Alec, and for that matter, everyone on Earth knew. The World Academic Convention, commonly known as the WAC, is an event that happens every four years that exclusively brings together all the top-notched university students all over the world for a month-long, in-house convention. The delegacy is a rigorous process of narrowing down the delegates down to a core of 3000 students. To house this specially privileged young delegates, thus the Cyrus.

From afar, it looked like a huge structure rooted on land; but everyone knew that the Cyrus is an air vessel designed to take over the skies. It is the only one in the world, conceptualized mainly as a unique venue for the WAC.

Alec remembered how it cheered him up as a kid whenever the airship comes floating by the skies of New York State, his hometown; but he has never seen the WAC at this close range. The Cyrus/ WAC airship is quite the celebrity in every nation. It is considered an honor to have their country, city or hometown a part of the airship's route they would welcome its entry into their skies with much celebration from the ground. Although he's not such a fan of the airship as he was before, he wondered what it is actually like inside. He heard it is a like being on a holiday cruise ship. 'This Mission isn't so bad after all,' he thought.

"It is some piece of architecture," Phil said, looking in calm awe at the monumental structure.

"There is probably so much to see inside that ship," Alec suggested to the lieutenant.

The awe was immediately stripped off from Phil's face. "We don't have time for that,"

Alec grinned, somehow expecting Phil to say that..

"We can steal away a little time," Alec pursued. "C'mon, Phil. This is a one in a lifetime chance, a unique opportunity! Are we just really going to step up on that ship for military transactions?"

"I had enough ships in my life--battleships-not everyone gets to be on our ships," Phil retorted. "And yes, we are only stepping up on that ship for military transactions."

Alec laughed, "C'mon, Phil, I'm sure we'll find our Kinski before 48 hours. I mean, it's a big ship but we're inside the same metal walls."

Phil was tense now, grimacing at him. "We don't really know, don't we? Anyway, we need to keep a low profile and stay out of trouble or suspicions."

Alec laughed even more. "Geez, don't be so fussy. Don't worry, I consider this an important mission, lieutenant!"

Phil looked at him beyond his lowered spectacles sardonically. "Really? You've forgotten that this is your punishment?"

"Ah...Nope," Alec stammered before putting on serious face. "But, well, whatever is the significance of this, it's still a mission. And we're on a crisis here---with the Professor gone and everything, I believe this is of global importance."