Chapter 29 - Resolve

Four sleek WDF spacefighters landed on the spacious grounds of the Kinski farmland against the light of dawn breaking in the horizon. Four pilots emerged from each of the cockpits and reported to Lieutenant Phil Wilson on the field with a salute.

"They are all 2-seaters, sir," informed one of the young private.

"Good. We will be leaving immediately," said Phil. Turning to Alec, he asked, "Is she not done yet?"

*******

"Hey, Miss Kinski, the fetchers are here. Aren't you done getting ready yet? I can hear the lieutenant roaring in my head, just so you know," Sanders called out from outside of Ava's bedroom door. Still no response. 

"Uh.... just so you know, we are not going to a fancy party,"

Silence. He shrugged and squatted onto the floor. 'I didn't think women like her can still have feminine quirks,' he muttered to himself.

"Master Ava is not in there," S25 said as she was passing by.

Sanders looked up. "Wh-what?"

"I cannot sense her in there. Why are you still waiting?"

At that, Sanders jumped up immediately, opened the door, and scourged the room, found no one.

"Uh-oh,"

He went over to the balcony to look down the height of a 3-storey building and saw a rope hanging over. He gave out another big "Uh-oh!" and then shook his head in disbelief. Ava could have not possibly climbed down from this height, he thought. But then again, she is kinda amazonian.

Alec and Phil saw Sanders running haphazardly towards them, yelling, "She's gone! She's ran away!"

Phil heaved out a big "What?!"

"Believe me, lieutenant, she climbed her way down the high balcony!" squealed Sanders.

"Find her! Now!" barked the alarmed Phil Wilson.

Suddenly, everyone heard the sound of activation pitched up..... from one of their planes!  All attention shifted and jaws dropped down heavily as they saw helmeted Ava in the cockpit. They all froze.

The boosters flared out almost immediately, lifting the ship a few feet above ground.

"Uh...no," sighed Alec.

"Miss Kinski, what are you doing?" yelled out Phil as he ran towards her, flailing his arms up.

She didn't even look down at them.

"I knew she wasn't ever gonna go back to Sybil," stated Sanders in his dazed state, with a nudge of his elbow at Alec who is standing next to him.

Before Phil could issue his orders, Alec was already running towards one of the fighter ships. He jumped and strapped himself in, muttering -- "Stupid girl."

"Don't let her out of your sight," Phil's voice came into his comms as he placed his helmet on and that's when he realised the futility of his actions. 'What am I doing? What is the point of pursuing this girl?'. He is almost tempted to tell the lieutenant to cut Ms Kinski loose once and for all.

There are bigger things to fry, he thought. But as Ava's transport, hurtling towards the clouds, began to rapidly gain distance eventually to final oblivion, a surge of urgency came to him, and he quickly pulled the levers without another moments hesitation and shot up into the sky. 'Damn it!' he muttered.