Eggs & Elves

I woke up to the sun streaming through my window, hitting me on the face. I blinked lazily and snuggled back down into my bed, which was the most comfortable piece of furniture I have ever slept on. After a few futile moments, I found I couldn't go back to bed. Might as well get up.

I look at the alarm clock sitting on my bedside table. It's only five in the morning?! Why had I woken up so early? Well, nothing I can do about it now. I swing my legs over the side of the bed and stretch. There's a pile of clothes on my dresser, along with a note.

"Dear Lila, here is a change of clothes for you until I get back from work. I had to leave early this morning and go to a board meeting, but I didn't want you in the same ratty clothes. Have fun, and don't let Tony get you in trouble. Love Pepper :)" I read out loud to myself. I smiled and took the new clothes with me into the bathroom.

I showered and got dressed in the outfit Pepper got me. Thank goodness she didn't do anything fancy. Just a pair of jeans and a Stark Industries t-shirt. I kept the maroon hoody from S.H.I.E.L.D and walked down the hall to the elevator. I realize that I have no idea where to go. The kitchen seems like a safe bet.

"JARVIS, where's the kitchen?" I whisper, like I'm going to wake someone.

"Level 10 Ms.Sutton." JARVIS replied crisply. I pushed the glowing 10 and was sped down. The elevator doors open silently, and I tiptoe out.

All of the lights are off, except for the stovetop light. The sunlight gives me just enough light to be able to find the light switch for the kitchen. I blink in the sudden light, taking in the modern kitchen. I loved cooking as a little kid. You tend to like the things that keep you alive. My parents would sometimes leave me at home alone for weeks at a time, so learning to prepare food was a survival skill. And I was pretty good, if I do say so myself.

I roll up my jacket sleeves, making a final decision. I would cook breakfast for the Avengers.

"Okay JARVIS, we can do this. Does Tony have the ingredients that I would need to make waffles, eggs, bacon, and biscuits?" I ask the AI.

"He does indeed ma'am. I've already located these items in the pantry and refrigerator." I pull open the fridge and pantry, seeing all the ingredients I need are surrounded by a glowing blue holographic light. Thankfully whoever is in charge of the kitchen keeps it well stocked, so there's more than enough for four people. I start to make the batter for waffles and put the biscuits in the oven, humming to myself as I work.

"Can we put on some music JARVIS?" I ask. JARVIS complies and I start softly singing to "I Love Rock n' Roll".

"I saw him standing there by the record machine. I knew he must've been about seventeen." I sang as I fried the bacon and sasague. I started making waffles, and soon had a huge plate piled high with them. Next, eggs. I made a huge batch of scrambled, and another batch of sunny side up. I took my biscuits out of the oven.

"I love rock n' roll, so put another dime in the juke box baby. I love rock n' roll, so come and take your time and dance with me!" I sang as I put the bacon and sasage on two seperate plates. I set it up all along the bar, along with a pitcher of orange juice. It looked perfect. I had started cleaning the kitchen when Steve walked out.

He saw the huge assortment of food and broke into a huge grin. "Did you do all of this?" he asked in wonderment.

I nodded and handed him a plate. He piled it high with food and sat down at the bar.

"I haven't had a breakfast like this in a long time." he said. I brought him a glass of orange juice, and he gave me a huge hug. "This is really amazing Lila, thank you." I blushed and went back to cleaning the kitchen.