Playing Doctor

I half carried, half dragged the unconscious boy into the elevator. It should've been easy, but he weighed a ton. Even though he clearly hasn't eaten a good meal in a long time, he still had some muscle. He was tall and lean, but not to skinny. He was a happy medium between muscular and wiry. So, what should've taken me five minutes took more like fifteen. I finally got him into the elevator, and cautiously laid him on the ground. He let out a little groan, which I guess was a good sign.

"JARVIS, are you online?" I ask.

"Yes ma'am. I'm sorry for before, but my system was temporarily shut down. I have only just rebooted. Shall I call the police?"

"No!" I shout. "I mean, he looks pretty banged up, the least we can do is patch him up. Just take me to Bruce's lab, and warn me if Pepper or the guys are coming home, okay?" I tell the AI as I bend down to examine the boy. JARVIS gives me a quick "yes ma'am" and soon the elevator's headed towards the lab.

I finally get the boy onto Bruce's lab table, after another twenty minutes of dragging him and trying to get pull him up onto the steel desk. I rummage around the lab for anything useful. He'll need fluids, bandages, and probably a blood transfusion.

"JARVIS, you gotta help me out here bud. I need you to find out how I can safely give this guy an IV, and a blood transfusion. If I take a sample, can you tell if we're the same blood type?" I ask. This is going to be difficult, but it needs to happen. I take a sample of the boy's blood, and put it in some machine that'll run it with a sample that I took of my own blood. While that's happening, I might as well start the other things.

I start cleaning the boys wounds, each one worst than the last. Some of them are scabbed over, showing that their old injuries, while others are so fresh that their still bleeding slightly. There's a particularly nasty one that goes all the way across his abdomen, oozing pus and blood. I wrap the gauze all the way around the cut, giving the guy a funny looking belt. I reach for his wrist to see if I can set it when another hand reaches out and grips my wrist tightly.

I face the boy, who's breathing rapidly, his eyes darting back and forth from my hand to his injured wrist.

"Hey, it's okay. I'm just trying to help." I explain in a soothing voice. The boy slowly drops my wrist. I grab his injured wrist as gently as I can, but he still lets out a hiss as his jaw clenches. I give him a sympathetic look, while further examining his wrist.

"It looks like a clean break, as far as I can tell. I can give you a splint, but that'll only fix it temporarily. Is that okay?" The boys nods, and I get the gauze and start wrapping it around his wrist.

"You gotta name, Mr. Stranger? Mine's Lila." I say with a small smile. Even though he's wincing in pain, the guy manages a smile in return. A long pause follows my question. I'm about to just drop the subject when he abruptly answers.

"My name is Wolf." he says. The way he says it sounds strange, like he's just getting used to saying the words. It may be I'm just not used to his accent, which sounds British but richer. It sounds so familiar, the way he talks. I raise my eyebrow in question, but say nothing.

I take one of Bruce's hardcover books and rip all the pages out (sorry Bruce!). I rip the cover right down the middle, giving me my splint. I position it on either side of Wolf's hand, and tape it together.

"Now, all that's left is your IV and blood transfusion. JARVIS, what are the results?"

"Both you and the young man are O positive Ms.Sutton." the butler replies crisply. Wolf looks confused, but I'll explain JARVIS later.

"Okay Wolf, I need to give you an IV full of fluids and a blood transfusion. Can you manage that?" I ask. Wolf nods slowly.

"I'll be fine." he says. I get the saline drip and hang it up on one of those hospital bag holders. I connect the bag to a long thin tube and a needle, and grab Wolf's arm to find a vein. He jumps when I touch him and his arm becomes very tense.