Painful Revelations

"Wolf!" I shriek as the boy in question falls to the ground. I rush to his side, but Clint stands in front of me, blocking me from him.  He opens his mouth, but I raise my hand, forming a perfect ball of fire. Clint quickly closes his trap, and I shove past him to Wolf.

"Oh, come on, please don't be dead!" I exclaim as I fall to my knees. Wolf groans again, and his eyes open a little. "Hey Lila, you're on fire, did you know that?" he says, making him sound like he was as high as the Empire State building. I let out a laugh at his comment.

"Yeah, I know Captain Oblivious. Can you stand?" I ask, ignoring the piercing gaze of everyone else in the room. Wolf tries to stand, but imminently falls back down. "Whoops." he says. I roll my eyes, then slowly let my flame go down. I support his body, and help him back up onto Bruce's table. I let him fall out of my arms and hit the table. He's laying on his stomach, and I can't help but let out a gasp, along with everyone else in the room.

Wolf's entire back is covered in lacerations. Some are nothing more than slightly raised skin, showing age, while others have let horrible, knotted scars. There are five ones that look relatively fresh, all surrounded by a sickly-looking yellow crust. I cautiously touch one of the older scars, but Wolf still flinches and hisses in pain. I retract my hand quickly, and turn around frantically. 

"Please, you've got to help him!" I yell frantically at the guys. I feel the tears well in my eyes as everyone looks at me with shocked expressions.

"You can all yell at me later, just please help him!!" I scream, going back to Wolf. I clutch his hand like my life depended on it. He can't die, he just can't. I may have only met him, but if my dreams were right, I was going to need him to help me figure out what would happen to Earth. I turn back to the Avengers, and my eyes land on Bruce. Unlike everybody else, he's not staring in horror at me, but rather at Wolf's back. He tears his gaze away from Wolf, and meets my gaze. I plead at him with my eyes, tears quietly slipping down my cheeks.

Bruce starts walking towards us, putting on a mask of professionalism. He quickly takes in Wolf's current state, and starts going through various drawers and cabinets in the lab, gathering everything he would need.

"I need everybody out, including you Lila." Bruce states. I panic at his words, and tighten my grip on Wolf's hand.

"What about a blood transfusion, doesn't he need one? We're both the same blood time, so I can donate." I say quickly. Despite helping Wolf, I don't feel safe leaving them alone. He was part of the party that just threatened to blow Wolf's brains out!

I feel a slight tug on my hand, and quickly bend down so that I'm eye to eye with Wolf. 

"I'll be fine. You go." he whispers, offering me a small smile. I give his hand one last squeeze, and slowly walk out the lab, the others leaving with me. I don't say a word to anyone, simply run to the elevator and push the number to my floor, not letting anyone else in with me. I slowly sink to the ground, and wrap my arms around my knees and bring them to my chest. 

Why out of every freaking person on the Earth, why did I have to be chosen for this stupid destiny? I didn't ask for these powers, didn't ask for this huge weight on my shoulders, didn't ask for the mysterious boy to suddenly come into my life. And now because of this boy, I probably ruined the only chance I had to have a real family. Who was I kidding? These people didn't care about me. I was a job, an assignment, nothing more. I couldn't let myself get attached. That was one of my first rules when I was on the run; never care about anyone. All they'll do is leave you.

The ding of the elevator startles me. I climb off the ground and slowly make my way to my room. I crawl under my covers, and curl up into a tight little ball. Memories flash in my mind, even though all I want is for them to stop.