Changing Fate

The entire time I was out shopping with Pepper, I couldn't help but worry about the guys. I know Tony said that it was a small job, but something felt off.

"Lila, are you listening to me?" I snapped out of my thoughts as Pepper called my name. We were sitting outside a small bistro, taking a break from shopping to get some lunch. The entire day, whenever Pepper had been talking to me, I simply nodded and mm-hmed. I guess she noticed my spacey attitude.

Pepper sighed, shaking her head slightly. She paid the bill and we went back to the car.

" I can see your tired Lila. We did shop for three hours straight after all. How about you go home and try to sleep? I have to head back to the office. I'm be home late, so don't wait up for me, okay?"  I nodded and Pepper hugged me.

"They'll be fine; they always are." Pepper said, releasing me and closing the door to the limo. "Take her home Happy." Pepper ordered, waving as we drove away. I felt myself start to drift off into sleep.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

I stood on barren, rocky soil. The air was cold, but at the same time warm. Deep purple fog swirled around me, making it impossible for me to see more than a couple feet in any direction. Suddenly, the fog became less dense in front of me, and I saw three people in the distance. I started walking towards them.

"Hello?" I called out into the nothingness. I got closer to the three people, who wore heavy robes with hoods. They were all crouched around some cauldron, and the person in the middle stirred it with a huge wooden stick.

" Hel-Hello?" I repeated hesitantly. None of the people responded to me, just kept muttering words under their breath. I was getting exasperated., and turned around to leave. Why is it that even in my dreams I have no control over anything?

"Because this is not a dream, Lila Sutton." A smooth velvety voice whispered. I turned around and saw that the people were suddenly facing me. The hoods still covered their features, but I could make out the bottom halves of their faces. All of them had distinctively female face shapes.

"This, my dear, is a message." The woman on the right said, her voice as beautiful as the first woman's.

"Who are you?" I asked.

"We are the ones who guide mankind, the ones who shape the future." They all stated at the same time. Their voices carried power as they talked as one.

"We made you what you are my dear, so that you could change that future." The woman on the left spoke.

"You, you were the ones who gave me my powers?" I whispered in a desperate voice. After all of these years of wondering what had made me the way I am, I come face to face with what made me a monster. I had finally met my maker.

"We gave you your abilities Lila, because you are a key element in mankind's survival. You need to listen carefully." the woman in the middle spoke urgently. I said nothing, still trying to take everything in, so the women continued.

"A boy will come to you, seeking asylum. You will know it is him as he will know it is you. You must keep him safe, and help him recover from any wounds he has. Wounds of any kind. You will need to gain his trust, and also gain his friendship. He will tell you how to stop what is coming, but you cannot force it out of him, nor tell him anything about us, except that you have been having strange dreams with three mysterious figures looming in the distance. Do you understand my girl?" the women had switched who was talking the entire time, but their sentences flowed together, one picking up the second one stopped. They all said the last sentence at the same time, the same raw power present as before.