Who, What, and Why

"Hold on one second, and rewind for me. Your telling me that you were supposed to hunt me down and bring me back to your boss, who is some super powerful being responsible for the Battle of Manhattan?" I ask as I rub my temples with the tips of my fingers. Wolf gives me a nod, his eyes cast downwards, just like they have been for the past twenty minutes as he explained to me, Tony, and Bruce exactly why he had been in the tower.

"I have no idea why Master Thanos would want you. All he told me was that I had to find you and bring you back. But, I know Master Thanos. He's cruel, and will do whatever he needs to to reach his goal. He was the one who gave that Asgardian the power to attack Earth. Whatever he wants from you can't be good, so I came here to warn you instead of handing you over."

I can't believe it. I just got off the hook with S.H.I.E.L.D, and now some alien with a total Hitler-complex is trying to nab me? I groan and bury my face in my hands.

"What is this Thanos guy's goal exactly?" Bruce asks.

"Who the hell cares? He's after Lila, that's all the info I need!" Tony shouts exasperatedly, hands flying into the air.

Bruce regards Tony in a calm fashion, used to the billionaire's blast-first-ask-questions-later attitude by now. "We need to know all of the variables if we're going to take this guy down Tony. We can't just go after him half-cocked." Bruce turns back to Wolf, giving him the go ahead to continue.

"Master Thanos wants to obtain the Infinity Gauntlet, along with all of the Infinity Gems. There are six gems: the Soul Gem, the Time Gem, the Space Gem, the Mind Gem, the Reality Gem, and the Power Gem. Each gem grants the user amazing powers, all different. Master Thanos already has the Soul, Mind, and Reality Gems. All he needs to get are the three other Gems and the Infinity Gauntlet."

"What's the Infinity Gauntlet?" I ask. Wolf looks up at me when he hears my question, but quickly looks down again after meeting my gaze. What is his problem?

"The Infinity Gantlet is basically used to control all of the Gems at once. If someone has all of the Gems along with the Infinity Gauntlet, they become all-powerful. They could single-handedly crush the universe. Right now, Odin is in possession of the Gauntlet, along with the three other Gems my master wants. You see, Thanos is obsessed with Lady Death, the physical embodiment of death. He wishes to use the power of the Infinity Gauntlet and Gems to kill every being in the universe to please Lady Death."

"He wants to perform the biggest mass murder in the history of world." Bruce says quietly. The room becomes grim and silent. How the heck is there even something with that kind of power? Why make something that could easily decimate entire worlds?

"Exactly how do I fit into Thanos' world domination plan?" My voice is tight and sharp as I voice the question that has been eating away at me since Wolf began explaining this whole mess. I look up at Wolf, who's eyes are still glued to the floor. I feel the anger well up in me at his lack of acknowledgement.

"God dammit, if you're going to talk about some sicko who's hunting me down, at least look me in the eyes while you do it!" I growl out, teeth gritted and fists clenched. Wolf slowly raises his head, his dark green orbs boring into my lighter ones. Once again there's emotion in them, but I can't tell what it is. I glare defiantly at him, daring him to keep talking like I'm not in the room.

"I already told you, I don't know. All I was told was that you were staying with the Avengers, and under their protection. I was to get in, grab you without anyone noticing, and bring you back to Master Thanos. I swear that's all I was told." His eyes remained locked on mine the entire time, clouded and unreadable.

"This is why I came here; to tell the Avengers of the danger Lila is in." Wolf finishes his long tale, and the entire lab is silent for a minute.

"You said that Odin has the other things Thanos is after, right?" Tony asks suddenly. Wolf nods his head in conformation. Tony throws his hands in the air, the sign of a Stark breakthrough.

"Well, then we just tell Point Break to pass the message on to dear old dad, and he can deal with Thanos! He has an army for a reason." Tony says.

"But, Thor isn't due back for 10 days, and if the stuff we dealt with in Chicago tells us anything, it's that this guy is on the move now." Bruce replies. I keep my mouth shut the entire time, alternating between thinking about Thanos and watching Wolf. I could've sworn I saw him tense up at the mention of Thor, but it was probably me just over-analyzing.

"Well then, what are we going to do until Thor comes back?" Tony asks, and I once again focus on the two geniuses. Bruce runs a hand over his face and leans against the lab counter. He looks over at me, as if to see how I'm taking everything that's going on.

I honestly don't know how to react at this point. Was I supposed to be scared about what could happen to me? Or confident that the Avengers could protect me? The only real thing I've felt during this time was anger at Wolf for avoiding me.

"Lila, how do you feel about all of this?" Bruce questions, honestly wanting my opinion. It's been so long since anyone has cared about what I felt, or what I had to say. I studied the two men in front of me who had become my protectors of sorts. They stood up for me against Fury, brought me here to live with them, and didn't treat me like some freak. Bruce constantly asked about my health, and was always there with a calming smile and reassuring words. Tony wasn't as low-key as Bruce, but that wasn't a bad thing. Tony was bold and cocky, not afraid to crack a joke to break the ice, and he may complain constantly, but he'd do anything for those he cares about. I don't know if I've made it on that list yet, but I hope one day I can..

They were my rock, along with the other Avengers. I may not have known them for very long, but already I felt a connection with each of them. Not just Bruce and Tony; Steve, Clint, Natasha, Pepper, even Thor although I only met him once. They were my friends, and maybe, possibly.....my family. Having a family still scared the crap out of me, but as I got to know each of them more and more, the idea became less and less scary. But, right now, there was someone out there who wanted to shatter the bonds I've been building. Who could and would kill every single important person in my life just to get me, and that was not okay with me.

I stood up and looked at Bruce with determination in my eyes. I start to grin like a maniac and I see Tony starting to do the same thing. "All I know that if this guy wants me, he can come and get me. But he's going to be in for a major ass-kicking when he does."

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

"Come on squirt, they're just push ups, stop being a wimp and finish this like a man!"

"Two things; One, I am not, in any way, shape or form a man. Two, this would be a lot easier if you weren't using me as a freaking foot rest!" I yell back at Clint, who currently had his feet propped up on my back as he cleaned his bow. As soon as I was done talking to Tony and Bruce, I had gone to Clint and Natasha and demanded more training. They agreed, and quite easily I add. Now, I see why.

"Thanks for taking joy in my misery Clint, great to know I have such a encouraging teacher." I groan out as I push off the floor again. Natasha had ordered me to do two hundred push ups while she went and got some other equipment for me to train with, and left Clint to supervise.

"Oh calm down, you're on what, hundred ten? Only ninety more to go!"

"You haven't been counting?!" I shriek. Clint rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly.

"Hehe, I was supposed to be?" he chuckled nervously. I let out a groan and flopped onto the floor. My arms were shaking from the exertion, and my calves were absolutely on fire, no pun intended. I hear the training room doors open with a automatic swish, and heels clacking on the floor. I pick up my head, trying to look through my crazy red hair. I see Natasha standing over me, hands on her hips and the famous Romanoff glare in place.

"Did you finish all your push ups?" she asks. I send a glare at Clint, who still has his feet on my back. Natasha then looks at Clint, who suddenly goes very pale.

"You see Tasha, I, uh, um..," Tasha raised up her hand and Clint silenced immediately.

"You lost count didn't you?" she says, and Clint nods his head. "I'm going to pay for this in some subtle way later, aren't I?" Clint sighed as he finally took his feet off me.

"Not going to be that subtle." Natasha replied as I got to my feet. Natasha once again returned her attention to me. I shifted from side to side, slightly nervous. Natasha must've noticed this, because her gaze softened a bit.

"Okay Lila, so this is what we're going to focus on mainly for a while, getting your body in better shape. You're going to be put on a special diet so that you can gain some weight, and we'll do a lot of strength training to build muscle. Your endurance needs some work too. Once I think you're body is fit enough for it, we'll move onto some more combat stuff like we did yesterday maybe even some weapons." Natasha said with a smile.

"What about training with my powers?" I asked. My powers were usually something I didn't like to bring up, but I will admit that I wish I had better control over them. Doing things like making that fire bird for the guys a couple days ago, or healing myself took a lot of control and energy. I really want to learn how to hone it, so that I can have more control and maybe even use it in a fight.

"We really don't know where to go with that yet Lila. Your powers are unique, something we've never seen before, so we have no idea what would work for you and what wouldn't as far as training goes. For now. we're going to give you the basic training all S.H.I.E.L.D agents receive, and add stuff in here and there that we think will benefit you." Clint explains to me as he walks over and picks up some leg weights Natasha had brought with her. I hid my disappointment behind a look of curiosity as Clint approaches me with the weights.

He kneels down and straps them to my ankles, tugging them to make sure they're secure.

"These weigh about ten pounds each. You'll keep them on the entire time, even after training is done. Once it seems that your used to them, we'll switch them out for some heavier ones." he says as he stands up and dusts his hands off. I groan internally, thinking about having to walk around the tower constantly dragging my feet. Natasha chuckles at my disgruntled expression.

"Don't worry, it's not that bad after the first week." I give her a looks that screams oh, if it's not so bad then why don't you do it? Natasha lets out a sigh, and points to the ground.

"Two hundred push ups, and this time, I'll make sure they're being counted."

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Natasha and Clint had put me through the wringer. I was sore in places I didn't even know I had muscles! They had taken no mercy, and I swear I saw glimpses of mirth on their faces at least once or twice while they barked orders at me. Bunch of sadists.

I undressed to take a shower and waited for the water to heat up. I looked in the mirror of my bathroom and saw my scarred body. Some scars were jagged and thick, others small pink lines you could barley see. Luckily my parents were somewhat clever and never inflicted any injuries on any part of me that would be visible, like my face.

Burns marks littered my arms from where my father would bury his cigarettes into my skin. Despite common belief, fire can hurt me. My own flame can't cause damage to my body, but say if I stuck my finger in a candle, I would still get burned. After I had left home I found out that I could keep myself from getting burned if I kept my own flame active. So if I had my flame activated and walked into a burning building, the fire wouldn't hurt me because my flame would protect me. Confusing, I know.

I hate my arms, littered with small craters that would never heal. That's why I keep them covered. Not once since I had met the Avengers had I've worn anything arm exposing. When I was working out with Clint and Tasha, I was dying in my hoodie. Tasha had told me I could take it off, but I had refused. I didn't want them to see my scars.

It's not that I think they'll find them gross or ugly. My past is just something I'd rather keep buried. I don't even think the Avengers know I was abused, and I like to keep it that way.

I see steam rising from the shower and step in. The hot water feels amazing on my muscles. I take extra care to wash my hair, getting all the sweat and oil out of it. After forty-five minutes, I finally exit the shower into a steam filled bathroom. I towel off, and my hand passes over my stomach, which causes me to flinch.

The cigarette burns aren't the worst thing my dear parents ever did to me. No the worse was on the anniversary of Uncle Daniel's death. I was seven at the time, and had been all alone at home for three days. When my parents had returned, they were totally smashed and seeking "justice". My mother had pinned me down as my father had carved the word "FREAK" into my stomach. I had been left on the floor bleeding and had stitched it up myself. Because of that, the scars were horrible, all twisted and disgusting. Two weeks after the incident, I had escaped from my home and ran away.

I hate my parents for what they did to me, but in the back of my mind, there's this little part of me that says I deserved everything I got. That my uncle, my best friend, had died because of me, and I was a murderer and a freak because of it. I quickly shake the somber thoughts from my head and dress in my pajamas, a pair of white cotton pajama pants with a black Mickey Mouse print on them, and a black tank top. As I'm about to crawl in bed and sleep for fourteen hours, I hear a soft knocking on my door. I roll out of bed and open the door, but not before slipping on my hoodie. I swing open the door and come face to face with none other than Wolf.

"Lila, can we talk?" he asks quietly. I'm tempted to say no and just go back to bed, but the sincerity in his voice stops me. I nod and open the door wider to let him in. Damn me and my conscience.

Wolf sits on the foot of my bed, his hands twisting and kneading. He takes a deep breath, and starts talking.

"I'm so, so sorry about this whole thing. You have every right to be mad at me, and I should've told you the second I found you. This is all my fault, and-" I cut him off by stalking over to him and grabbing his chin harshly, forcing him to look at me.

"This entire time, your eyes have been glued to my floor and it was driving me crazy. Eye contact Wolf, eye contact." I soften a little when I meet his eyes, filled with regret and frustration.

"I'm not mad at you Wolf, I never was. The situation is not your fault. In fact, I think your extremely brave for coming here and telling me all of this. You could've been in major trouble if Thanos had found out what you had been planning to do, and yet you did it anyway. I'm grateful." I let go of his chin and give him a big smile. He gives me one in return and walks towards my door. He stops just before shutting it.

"So we're okay?" he asks. I let out a little laugh, and walk over to give him a hug. He jumps a little, and becomes as taught as a bow string, but slowly relaxes.

"Yeah Wolf, we're okay." I say. Just before I pull away, he leans down and gives me a chaste kiss on the cheek.

"Night Little Red." he whispers before exiting my room. I stand in the doorway, dumbstruck as I hold my cheek.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

This is by far my longest chapter yet. Woot woot! Hope you guys enjoyed, and I like to think it came in a reasonable time frame. Sooo, what do you guys think about this chapter? MAJOR plot twist, sí? Comment, favorite, and follow!

-Your very smug Author