Chapter 1

I woke up to the sound of the door opening. Amanda is home. I try to stay calm while my head still feels dizzy. Hopefully she'll just go to bed.

I want to check my watch but I'm afraid to move. If she finds out I'm awake she'll start yelling again and my eye still hurts from last week. I can't stand another fight.

I hear noises coming from the kitchen. That's weird. She usually heads to her bedroom.

I hear somebody's voice. I freeze. It's not hers. Nor Jason's. It's a girl.

"Check the rest of the house", I hear her say. "I'm hungry"

My thoughts tangle. What did she just say?

I don't have time to think. I get up as quite as I can.

God, let it be my imagination!

On my way to the kitchen my eye catches the iron. I enter the bathroom trying my best not to make any noise, even though I'm not really sure they would hear me. They're arguing. I can't tell what about. It's a guy and a girl both British if I'm not mistaken.

I've barely entered the room when the female throws me against the wall.

Jeez! She's strong! I'm struggling to breathe and I think I broke I rib. Slowly she moves towards me. I'm still on the floor trying to catch my breath. She's now standing a heartbeat away.

"This is the end", I think to myself "It has to be"

She kneels next to me. She's looking me straight in the eye. I try to avoid eye contact but with her finger she gently places my head in just the right spot so she can look deep into my eyes

"What's your name?", she whispers.

"Jade", I reply trying my best not to burst in tears

"That's a nice name. Where are your parents?", she says.

"In the ground" I tell her making it sound like I want her to feel sorry for me. "Along with my hopes and dreams"

Her eyes turn just enough to notice my cuts

"What happened to your wrist?", she asks

"My cat hates me", I tell her and I try to smile but all that I succeed is an awkward smirk. The words barely made it out of my mouth. I'm not even sure she heard me

"She does?", she asks. She tries to smile back at me

"It's a boy... actually" I say trying to sound more convincing.

"Oh, really? What's his name?". It almost looks like she's interested.

"Um... His name is... Erm.. He's nameless... Actually.", I reply. I can tell from the look in her face that I didn't sound very believable. Nameless? Ugh what's wrong with me? There are a million names that I could've used! Plus; that's the oldest excuse in the book! Why did I have to be born so stupid?

"Oh!", she exclaims, "A nameless cat!" She almost smiles at me. "Interesting."

"Ah... Yeah...", I say trying to cover it up "We found him in the garbage. He wasn't exactly friendly"

"Where is he now?"

"Back in the garbage, I guess"

"Poor cat", she says. What is she doing? Why is talking to me? Why am I speaking to her?

"Um.. Yeah."

"I'll tell you what. Let's call him Klaus.", she suggests and winks at me. She whispers the next words, "Like the idiot that's standing in the door"

"I can still hear you, Bekah!", he yells.