Chapter 3

"I said come with us", she hisses
"Bekah what's taking you so long?!", says Nik, or whatever his name is.
"Something's wrong here Nik.", she says. "She's on vervain". She gets back up.
What? What's that vrelain thing?
The man turns towards us. It's the first time I actually see his face. For no apparent reason my memory travels back to my mom, my real mom. The one who actually cared about me. Oh, how I miss her. What wouldn't I do to hear her say "it's gonna be okay in the end" just one more time. Just like the last time I saw her, it was like she knew something would happen. "Animal attack" the police said. How can an animal attack you in the middle of the city? And how did she know? How could she have predicted it? I will find all those answers that I've been hiding from all this time. I will put an end to the misery that consumes me and the lies that surround me. "I care", they say. Liars.
"What do you mean vervain, Bekah, she's 10!", he says angrily.
Ten?! Seriously?!
"14... Actually... I'm 14", I say quietly.
"14?", he says politely with a smile that makes me want to trust him. But I can't. "Tell me, young girl, what do you know about hybrids?", he asks. His friend leaves and he walks closer to me until he stands just as close as she did.
"Hybrids? Like... the cars... or something?", I say. For some reason that makes him crack up.
I should be the one laughing right know. Silly questions get silly answers.
"Come on, Bekah, how could she possibly be on vervain? First thing that comes into her mind when she hears the word vampire is that sparkling dude from tv.", he says and continues to laugh.
"Wut? What sparkling dude?", I say confused. That makes him laugh even harder.
He turns his face back to me and again he looks me in the eyes.
"Just come with us already", he says while he's still laughing.
"No", I say and his smile immediately disappears.