Chapter 12

When I open my eyes I'm lying on the same bed I was before. Before I tried to escape and ended up being tortured in a dark basement. Same room, same lights, same place. I'm surrounded by people though I only recognize Rebekah, the girl with the red hair and her blonde friend. There's also a dark-skinned girl with short dark hair, she looks more amazed than any of them.

"Wow", she whispers.

"I told you Nik," says Bekah and turns to her brother who's standing behind her, "this one is special". I can't see him but I bet he looks disappointed. Maybe because he was wrong or maybe he's just mad at himself because his sister was smart enough to figure this out and he wasn't. There goes his ego.

"I've never seen anything like this before", says the dark-skinned girl.

"Am I invisible or something?", I say glaring at her.

"How is this possible?", she asks as if no one had interrupted her.

"I guess I am", I whisper and turn my head to the side trying to find Nik. A few more pointless questions follow as I try to look through the gap between the girls standing in front of me, but he is nowhere to be found.

I just wish this whole thing ends and they kill me. I have to make them want to kill me. I can't stay around anymore. My life is becoming impossible to bear and right now I don't even see the point for trying to make it better. Maybe if I make them see how useless I am to them they will put an end to my misery.

The girl with the short hair says something but I'm not even listening. I'm still look for the only person that could stop the suffering - Klaus.

"What's your name?", she yells. Judging by the look on her face she's probably been talking to me for awhile.

"Uh...". Where is he?

"Yes?", she asks once again.

"Jadine", I say, still looking for Klaus. When I turn to look at her I notice how her eyebrows are raised and her hands are crossed.

"And last name?"

Last name? Whose last name? Amanda's? My mom's?

"Uh...", I say nervously. "I don't really have one... But I guess it'll be something boring like... uh... Smith?"

"What do you mean you don't really have one? What was your dad's name?", she asks nervously.

"How should I know?", I say lifting my shoulders.
I never really had a problem with not knowing my father's name. I've never actually felt like I needed a father. My mother was enough for me.

"It's not like he's your father or anything!", she exclaims ironically.

She's right -partially. He is my father and I ought to know his name but to me he's dead. He left my mother alone when she needed him most. Even if he showed up now I wouldn't want to know anything about him.

"He died a few years after I was born. My mother got really depressed after that and never talked about him ever again. End of the story."

"So what you're trying to say is you have no idea who your father was. And you don't know anything about him - not even his name."

"Yup", I say and press my lips together.

"Well", she gasps, "that's inconvenient"

Just when I'm about to ask about all this I hear a voice coming form behind her.

"Leave. All of you.", he demanded.
It didn't take me more than five seconds to realize to whom the voice belonged. It was Nik.

"But, Klaus, she could be-"

"Now!", he insisted before the blonde girl could finish her sentence, his voice sharp, echoing in the room.

One after another they left the room in silence. Only the blonde girl stopped before him and whispered something in his ear. He didn't react, reply - he didn't even flinch. He kept starring at me, his eyes filled with viciousness. He can set me free.