Chapter 9

It was our twelfth birthday and me, my sister and my mom were supposed to go skiing. I never was the sporty kind of girl, but I knew she loved skiing and just being with her made me happy. She was the only person I knew I could trust, the only one that I knew would never judge me, and the one who loved me most.

Maggie, my twin, loved sports. She used to play basketball even though she never was remarkably tall. Last time I talked to her she wanted to start playing volleyball. She also played tennis and a tiny bit of football.

I, on the other hand, have always loved music. I play the piano, the guitar, the drums and I sing a little. My mom would always sing to me when I couldn't sleep. Sometimes she even told me stories about mythical creatures like vampires and werewolves. But she never referenced them as 'creatures of the night' or something scary. She used to tell me that they were caring and loving. Hours and hours she spent telling me stories about those creatures but the one that impressed me the most was about the prince and the vampire.

The prince had no idea such creatures existed until one day he met one of them. She was the scariest of them all but her beauty was beyond perfect. She used to kill for fun but all she ever wanted was a family. When the Prince met her, he was hypnotized by her beauty and he couldn't seem to understand that her only mission was to kill him. 'She was not capable of love', everyone said. Even she thought it herself. She couldn't have been more wrong. My mom used to say that when their eyes met, it was like no one else existed. Just him and his vampire lover. But she thought he would never love her if she told him what she really was. So she ran away, denying every attachment that ever existed. After she the Prince, she never found happiness again. But the Prince was the happiest person in the world because she didn't leave him alone. Besides him, she also denied her son, a blind little boy. Legend has it that vampires cannot procreate, but she was a special one. As the kid grew older the Prince was worried that he might turn out to be just like his mom but he put his worries aside and he learnt to live with the fact that his son was different from all his friends.

I wake up gasping for air as I open my eyes widely. Where am I? What happened?

"Good morning, sunshine", I hear someone say. It's Klaus. God, I hate him!

I look around confused. We are no longer in that white room with the lights. Contrariwise, this place is dark. I look around me and I see surgical instruments covered in plastic bags. What is this place?

I took me a while to realize that my hands and feet are tied up to the corners of that thing I'm lying on. I have no idea what it is but it sure as hell ain't a bed. I try to move my hands but I barely manage to.

This doesn't look good.

"This would be a great time to start talking", says Bekah.

I feel so weak. I'm not sure if I'm able to talk at all. Not much to say either.

I look at her. She's standing above my head, holding a knife. She keeps playing with it and when she noticed that I'm looking at her she gives me a big smile. All I do is sigh and turn my eyes to look back at the ceiling.

"Wrong answer", she says quietly and before I know it she stabs me breaking one of my ribs.

I scream in pain while she removes the knife from the wound. I shouldn't have talked to her like that! I shouldn't have treated her brother like that! What the hell was I thinking?! You only live once, my ass. I don't care if I live once, twice, hell, I'm fine with dying, but I can't handle so much pain. I think I'm fainting. Maybe I'll never wake up - thank god! I was getting tired anyway.

My vision is blurry but I can see well enough to notice that Bekah bites her wrist causing it to bleed. What is doing?

Before I know it her wrist is in my mouth, burning my skin. I scream to her touch. This is not her blood. It's something toxic, and it's burning my insides. I scream again begging her to take her hand away.

"Bekah, what did you give her?!", I hear Nik yelling.

"Nothing! Just my blood I don't know what's happening!"

I can feel my heart starting to beat slower and slower. My lungs are failing and my stomach is about to explode.

"Kill me now", I plead with what's left of my powers.