06. I didn't Expect this to Happen. Not at all.

He was at his desk, sifting through papers. I walked towards him, feeling a bit nervous.

"Sir? You asked to see me?" I said a bit timidly. Get a grip!

"Sit." was all he said.

"Y-yes sir." I went and sat at the desk obediently. I waited patiently for him to speak, but he did not. Was this it? Was this my punishment? Just letting me sit here, doing nothing? What am I waiting for? Why can't I speak up? What is he waiting for?

He finally spoke: "Where have you been all day today Mr. Linton?" Mr. Ambrose still didn't look up. I took a deep breath before answering.

"Well I went to Hyde Park and stayed there for a lo-"

"That's enough." Mr Ambrose cut me off.

"But I didn't get to fi-"

"I said, that's enough." Mr Ambrose said finally looking up.

"Yes sir." I muttered, not meeting his gaze, instead looking down at my shoes. Why aren't you still protesting?! You can't let a man control you! If he takes another harsh jab at you again, counterattack! You are a woman! Show him what you are made of!

"Why didn't you show up today?"

"The thought of work had slipped from my mind you see. I had been tho-"

"I don't want to hear anymore."

"Well sir, I am not finished yet, and I think it as ungentlemanly for someone like you to interrupt me. Even in these clothes I am still a woman, and you should know that." I said, looking up from my shoes. He stared back at me, unable to speak for a moment.

"Very well then. Continue." he said stiffly. At that moment I felt a little tired of sitting even though I had been only for a few minutes, I stood up and started walking about.

"As I had been saying before I had been rudely interrupted, the thought of work had slipped from my head. I had other things on my plate, a lot of explaining to do to many people about my whereabouts, which." I said, stopping and taking a quick glance at Mr. Ambrose. "I told no one of. By the way sir, I could've asked you the same thing." I said, starting up my walking again.

"Asked me what?"

"Where have you been this past month and three days?" I planted myself at his desk, and glared at his hair.

"That, is none of your business." he said promptly.

"Really? Even as I'm your personal assisstant? The one who helps you out in everything? I was the one who managed to find out where you could've possibly found the file. I was the one who helped you in France with getting the file. I was the one who he-"

"Enough Mr. Linton. That is enough. I don't care that you have helped me, just know that I will not tell you where I have been. It is, like I have said, none of your business."

"But I should know! Why all you've done since we came back from getting the file is.. Is..." I faltered. What had happened the past month? I couldn't recall much of anything. Had we really gotten the file though? Of course we have! Why wouldn't that have happened? But then what happened afterwards?I fell into the chair. I went through everything that occurred, every thing I could remember up until that day when we came back. Yet on that day... I could remember nothing, other than falling asleep on the ship.

"What happened?" I asked quietly. He looked up and I looked at him.

"What do you mean Mr. Linton?"

"From the time we came back... After the mine cart chase... After getting onto that ship.. What happened?"

"If I recall correctly, you had fallen asleep, I had failed to wake you up, so I proceeded in carrying you off of the ship and sending you off to your home. Afterwards I had one of my men send you a letter which you presumably found and took heed of, yet forgotten about importance of something related to it."

"You... Carried me? Not dragged or... something else? Something.. v-vile?" I stammered.

"No! Mr. Linton do you honestly think that I am that kind of a man?" Mr. Ambrose glared at me.

"Well you certainly are a man." I muttered, looking down at my shoes again. In a flash, he was out of his chair and in front of me. One finger lifted up my chin to face his face and I had to meet his gaze. His sea green eyes bore into mine and he said in the coldest tone I ever heard, a sentence that I probably wouldn't forget.

"Never. Ever, think that I, Rikkard Ambrose, would do such a disgusting and unworthy thing to a lady, any lady at all." I gulped and nodded. Why did I feel so inferior to him?! I shouldn't be! I should be the one over him!

"I'm sorry sir. I didn't know what I was thinking... I shouldn't have said that." I squeaked out. Gaining a little more confidence, I shifted upright in my chair and came closer to his face, my eyes never leaving his. "But at least you do recognise that I'm a lady."

"I never said in that sentence that you were. I said a lady, any lady at all. I did not say including you, did I?" Ambrose said, leaning even closer. I could feel his breath fanning my face. Gathering even more confidence, I shot back.

"But it was implied wasn't it, sir? You implied me in the sentence even though you did not say it." He narrowed his eyes.

"But how would you know? Maybe I wasn't implying you. I could've implied... someone else." I stood up, moving the chair forcefully backwards. I pointed a finger at his face.

"I'm the only lady around here. The only lady who has stuck with you for the longest time possible. Who else could you have implied sir?!"

"Any lady. Someone that I know of, obviously."

"No. No. Not her! Not Miss Hamilton!" Somewhere outside, Great Paul struck eight and the sun was finally disappearing properly. The red rays of the sun hit Ambrose's face and made it looked so defined and sinister. With the shadows and light mixed together, he looked like a piece of art. A handsome one at that. And also a sinister one. Even possibly... A statue? "You clearly haven't seen her in months. What makes you think of her now sir?!"

"What do you know? Maybe... I went off to see her while I'd been gone."

"Oh put a sock on it! I know you didn't go to see a woman like her, you have other important things to do which apparently are no-" His finger went to my lips.

"That's enough." I looked down at it and removed it, but I still held his finger. I looked back up at him, eyes narrowed.

"You still refuse to tell me where you had gone sir?"

"I wouldn't say refuse, I'd say kept away from."

"Does that really matter sir? Why cannot you just answer the question?"

"Because I have already told you, it is none of your business of my whereabouts."

"But you still told me about everything related to the file, why can't you tell me about this?" My hand then fully intertwined with his and he twitched but didn't let go.

"The matter is personal. There, does that help?"

"Not in the slightest sir." I said through gritted teeth. Remain calm. I breathed in and out and calmed down before saying something else. "I just want to know where you've been so I could.. I dunno... Help you!"

"Help me? In what way?"

"Any way! I don't care how, I just... It'd be nice to do something around here other than get you files and boxes!" I cried. He sighed.

"Fine. Sit down and I'll tell you." He moved away from me, letting go of my hand in the process and I felt... Cold.

____________________________________________________________________________________

I know this chapter is long and there's a LOT of S.T. but there will be something special in the next chapter, I promise! I'm just gonna have to figure out the name of the next chapter and other things...

PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS!!! THAAAAAAAAANKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSIEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS :D

See you later! (<---- do you get this reference?)