12. Confusions and Confessions. Pt. 2

So I told her. Of course I didn't tell her the truth, what kind of nutter would I be to tell her that?

"I went to see my.. er.. lover today. He unfortnately had to leave early and... Honestly Ella, I am confused."

"Confused? About what?"

"About my feelings. Towards him."

"Didn't you say that you were in love?"

"That's what I thought at first... But then I thought about it and realised that I wasn't sure. I mean... We've been having a lot of arguments. More than one really. And I dunno... I thought you'd know something about it? Possibly? I didn't want to ask Anne or Maria, they would've scoffed at me and things would've happened. Since you're my favourite sister, wouldn't you be kind as to tell me?"

"I... Of course I'll help. J-just tell me the matter and I'll try to help."

We continued walking, as the sun set around us, casting an orange-red shadow everywhere.

"Well.. As I mentioned earlier, we've been arguing a lot. What exactly were we arguing about..? Well the fact that I was zoning out a bit and thinking about personal things and how he wants to know them... Even as they're personal. He's really persistent. I don't even know why, he just is."

"Maybe he cares about you. And not just a little a bit, but a lot. Does he make it obvious?"

"Make what obvious?"

"The fact that he cares for you, does he make it obvious?"

"I... I don't know. Possibly. How would I be able to tell?"

"Well like you say, he's persistent. I think maybe if he continues asking you what the matter is, maybe that'll be like the um... What is that word? The main point I guess, for lack of a better word."

"R-really? Oh."

"What else might you be able to tell me about him?"

"Um well... He's really secretive. I hardly know a thing about him and... I'd like to."

"Have you tried asking him?"

"I... haven't no. I don't know why.. I just haven't."

"Try asking him first, then um try something else."

"And... We've kissed too." Saint Paul rang out eight times then, and the sun was nearly gone from sight. Only a few blood red rays remained.

"Oh yes, I remember you telling me that a couple nights ago. But you never mentioned... How did he react?"

"He was... Nervous. More like flustered. But then he went back to his normal self. He.. is usually never like that. There have been other moments where's he's been like this though..."

"No? What do you mean by that Lill? Does he hurt you? Oh no Lill! Please don't tell-"

"Ella hush! He is nothing of that sort. He's.. he's really strange sometimes. There were moments where he would hug me out of nowhere. And he would also be.. Um gentle? I guess. Sometimes he's nice too. Usually he's silent, cold and rude. But..."

"Oh Lill that is so romantic."

"Is it really?" I asked, taken by surprise. These were all just things that he did. Mr. Ambrose wasn't the romantic type. He didn't love. I knew that, and so did he. I didn't love either so we were in the same boat of 'not loving'. Although...

"Yes oh yes it is Lilly! I've experienced it before with Edm-" She froze, hand flying to cover her mouth. I was a bit too occupied with my thoughts to noticed that she was no longer following me.