5. Chastising is the Best Way.

I couldn't believe it. He was alive! He had never really died! I stared at the article which stated how he, Mr. Rikkard Ambrose, had gone to Africa to have men construct a canal. And I knew what that canal was.

The centre of the world. I thought. He had done it. Or was doing it anyway.

I was so lost in my thoughts that I almost did not hear the opening and closing of a door and then a sweet little voice calling out to me. Almost.

"Lilly? What happened? Why is your mouth opened like that? Is everything alright? Lilly! Lilly please speak to me!" I was being shaken then and the newspaper fell from my hands. I slowly looked up at Ella who was, in return, looking at me with fearful eyes.

"He's alive." I whispered.

"What? Who is? Lilly who's alive?"

"My.. My..." I faltered. "My lover." I winced a little when I said that. Ella on the other hand, took no notice. Instead, she clapped both hands over her mouth.

"Is he r-really?" she breathed. I nodded. There was a long silence in where Ella and I just stared at each other. And then she spoke up. "Why that's marvelous! What are you going to do now?" I looked away, out the window and thought about it. What was I going to do? It was late at night and I was supposed to be asleep by now. But...

An idea struck me. One that was a bit frightening yet completely worth the try. I stood.

"I think, that if I have read this article correctly, he is still in London. And I know exactly where to find him."

"You don't mean.. You're not possibly going to..."

"I am. And if Aunt Brank comes along for some reason, tell her that I have forgotten something in the park and that I cannot afford to look for it tomorrow." Which, technically, wasn't a lie. I was looking for Mr. Rikkard Ambrose and I could not afford to look for him tomorrow.

I left my room to a surprised Ella and I made my way quietly downstairs. I grabbed the parasol that stood there next to the door and I went outside. I'd forgotten my cloak again, but didn't really care. I walked around to the garden and entered the shed that I had avoided for two years. It was still in the same condition as it had been. There were no differences. I went over to Uncle Bufford's Sunday best and checked its pockets and my fingers clasped around something cool.

The ring of keys. The very same ones that he had packaged to me two years ago. He had trusted me with them and I still had each and every key. I checked.

Taking the keys and being extra sure that they wouldn't jingle as I walked, I made my way down the familiar path to the Empire House. I had thought that after not visiting it for so long, I would forget which way to go. But I didn't. I remembered every step of the way and felt quite proud of my memory. I kept a wary eye out on the streets and kept my parasol at the ready. I finally reached the building and looked up. Everything was the exact same as I remembered it. Everything. Nothing was out of place. Nothing was taken away or added onto. It was all as it had been.

And now came the moment of truth. Would any of my keys fit the locks? I faintly remembered that he had changed the locks of his office and my office after.. After...

I squeezed my eyes shut. Now wasn't the time. My fingers found themselves fumbling with something. Opening my eyes, I looked down and saw that I was fumbling with the ring that His Lordship gave me. The engagement ring.

I stared at it. It wasn't ugly, nor was it the prettiest thing I'd ever seen. And it was a bit heavy on my finger. Almost as if it were a reminder that I was.. Tied to him. I shuddered at the thought and let go of it. I squared my shoulders and marched up the steps leading to the front door. Already I was nervous, hoping and praying that I would be able to unlock the door. I inserted key after key into the hole and none of them fitted. That is, until I got to the last one. The key fit. I turned it and heard a click and let out a breath I didn't know I held. I opened the door and stepped into the familiar hallway that I knew so well.