1. The Misery of a Place Called Home.

It was dark. All around me was a faint darkness and silence. Well except for the steady waves of the sea, rocking the boat. But I hardly cared.

He's gone. I thought, head resting on something hard. It wasn't him though. I faced the sky, only to see nothing but clouds. The storm had passed briefly yet I had a feeling that it would occur at any given time.

He's gone. I thought again and then I closed my eyes. Bad move. His face appeared in my mind's eye, each feature clear and concise. Why? Why did the earth have to separate us like that? I couldn't tell which direction we were going in, but it hardly mattered.

How does one look for a man overboard? I thought. I wondered if I should ask someone onboard this little boat. But I didn't feel like getting up. I didn't feel like opening my mouth. C'mon Lilly! Get up! You're going to have to at some point or another! Stop being such a lazy lump of flesh and bone! I tried. I honestly tried getting up. I just couldn't. It was harder than I thought. I'll just stick around here and continue being a lazy lump. What am I supposed to do when I got up anyway?

After a long while of arguing with myself, the little boat bumped onto the shore. My eyes flew open, startled. Would I be able to get up now? I tried yet again. Slowly, agonizingly slowly, I lifted myself up to face the world and few people around me.

"Come along Miss. We've come ashore."

"Are we back in England?" I asked uncertainly.

"Indeed we are. This lady here... Er.. Your name Miss..?"

"Lady Timberlake." she said with a smile.

"Right. Lady Timberlake will escort you to her home. Unless..."

"I would actually prefer," I interrupted. "To go back to my own house. If," I turned towards Lady Timberlake. "That is alright with you." I don't know where my energy came from. Just two minutes ago was I weak and tired. But now...

"But the young man said for me to take care of you dear. Did he not?" Lady Timberlake asked, confused. I winced a little but replied.

"Indeed he did. But I assure you that I will be able to take care of myself as soon as I am home."

"Oh. Alright then dear." She looked pointedly at the boatman who straightened himself and started leading us away from the sea. I looked back at the empty, and now calm sea. I will find him. I vowed to myself. And I will not falter or stop until I have.

* * *

It was only half an hour until we reached St. James' Square. Already was I fearing what I was going to go through once I stepped into the threshold of Aunt Brank and Uncle Bufford's home after so long. Maybe...

I was settled on a short yet clever plan. I got out of the chaise and thanked the boatman, reassured Lady Timberlake and curtsied towards them both before turning and making my way down the street. I shifted my thoughts to him and I started feeling slightly apprehensive. I wanted to go back! I wanted to turn around and go back to the Channel, look for that blasted man and give him a piece of my mind! But I resisted every urge.

As I neared Uncle Bufford's house, the thoughts of him and his face intensified tenfold. A sob escaped my lips. How? How could this have happened!? We were supposed to be victorious! We had gotten the file and escaped...

The file.

What happened to it!? If the ship had really sunk...

No! It can't have. It's just not right! He must've gotten out beforehand...