07. Surprises Everywhere!

"I was visiting another country. You see, the file we retrieved mentioned the name of a young man, who'd be able to tell me some vital information." Mr. Ambrose said.

"Where had you gone?" I asked.

"Ireland." I turned to stare at the side of his head, as he wasn't facing me.

"Where?! You went to England's next door neighbour for a month?"

"And three days." I let out a noise of anger.

"Does that really matter?! You mean to say, that you have been in a country right next to us, for a month and four days? You couldn't have possibly sent a letter!?"

"A letter could've been intercepted Mr. Linton. Remember that. Anyone could've seen that letter as it was being sent and taken it away, never to meet its receiver." Mr. Ambrose looked at me then.

"Who would take your letter?!"

"Think, Mr. Linton think. I am sure the answer is very obvious." I stared right back at him, mind in a flurry. Can't be Simmons - he's dead and gone. ...I can't really think of any other enemy other than.. Oh! Oh of course! I smacked my forehead.

"Lord Dalgliesh isn't it? Lord Dalgliesh and his little soldiers who can't aim correctly."

"Precisely."

"But.. Would he have known who this young man is? You said it was encrypted, did you not sir?"

"I did Mr. Linton. As I'm sure you recall, Lord Dalgliesh said himself that he could not read the file, because it was heavily encrypted. As for me, I had it deciphered in an hour."

"Really now?" I said raising an eyebrow.

"Yes, of course. I was the one who wrote it. I wrote it in an encryption no one else would be able to figure out, other than I."

"Alright then. Who's this young man you speak of? And why does he live in Ireland, rather than in England?"

"This man, isn't someone you know, and he resides in Ireland because he committed harsh crimes and was exiled."

"People can still get exiled around here?" I walked over to the desk, and sat back down on the chair, eyebrow raised.

"Yes, they can."

"How is that even possible? Isn't the worst thing the ability to dishonour the family name?"

"Not only that, but other things as well. This man, he committed more than one crime. And not petty crimes like robbing a bank. No, much worse than that."

"Does he... Does he have a name?" I asked, feeling a bit hesitant.

"A name he does have, but one that's never spoken."

"I see. So, what have you found out?"

"This is where I don't elaborate." He went back to sifting the papers from earlier.

"Excuse me?"

"Show the proper respect. Did you forget that you are to address me as 'Mister Ambrose' or 'Sir' Mr. Linton?" I gritted my teeth, yet managed a smile.

"Of course sir. Now please, would you care to elaborate as to why you cannot elaborate what you have found out? Sir?"

"The file, which I have already told you more than once, its contents cannot enter your mind in any way or form, Mr. Linton." I seethed with anger and he still didn't look up.

"What is it about the centre of the world being a canal in Africa and this damned file somehow being related to this canal, be of so much danger that you cannot tell me, even as I am dressed as a man!?" I demanded, pounding my fist onto the arm of the chair. Mr. Ambrose finally looked up and opened his mouth to speak, but I cut him off. "Is it because of the word you despise so much?! Because I am of female gender?" I glared daggers at him and he stared back at me coolly.