FOUR

Salvador

"Ok. This is getting kind of ridiculous. What are you a kid?"

"I'm not a fucking kid! I'm already eighteen!" Em yelled.

"Well then how about you start acting like an adult, huh? Seriously Em? Avoiding me for a week? Ignoring my calls and text messages?"

"I'm just mad at you!"

"Confront me then. Yell at me. Fight with me. Whatever. But don't fucking avoid me and send me messages with people and shit like that. You're acting just like a spoiled brat."

"Don't call me a brat!"

"I'll call you a brat as long as you keep acting like one."

I grabbed my bass which I hadn't even taken out of its bag and my school bag. I was just sick of this. I had tried. For a whole motherfucking week I tried to talk to Em, tried to explain things to her, tried to solve things or something but she decided to play nursery and avoided me, ignored my calls, sent me messages with Dusty, and shit like that. Well today was the end of it. I got sick of it and decided to confront her about it. Which lead to this fight. I put my bag and my bass down again and turned to look at them.

"When you decide to act like an adult again and stop acting like a five-year-old come look for me in my house."

I grabbed my stuff again and stomped my way to the door.

"Wait Sal, please," Dust begged.

He looked like he was about to grab my arm and I gave him the evil eye, which took that idea right off his mind. I turned again and left the garage. We were supposed to be a band and more than that, best friends, we talked things out, we solved things, we came to a decision together, not this game they were playing. I went straight to my house, left my bass and grabbed my guitar. My only piece of word to Mina being that I'd be in the garage. I kind of wanted to be alone, just me and my music and nothing else. And that garage just like Em's was my little den, because my mothers couldn't really stand the noise the guitar and the bass made. I got there and plugged my guitar ready to just hit all the strings with all my force. I stopped though, and took a little breath. I never liked playing angry. I always feared I'd break a string when I wasn't watching my force. I thought for a few minutes, thinking about what I should play, thinking about my feelings right now. I just needed some kind of miracle solution, a prince charming to come and save my day, a hero. Hero. Hero by Skillet. Ok let's start there.

I tried a few notes first to see if it was still tuned. It had been a while since I last played the guitar what with Em's practice schedule since we formed the band a few years ago I had been playing the bass more and more until finally I almost completely forgot about my electric guitar. Dev would probably yell at me for that. But today I required some guitar therapy. I finished tuning it and imagined the tempo for a few minutes before I started the song. The chords just started coming naturally my mind taken away by the music, my fingers almost moving on their own. It was one of my favorite songs after all. In my mind I could hear Em singing the lyrics. We had played this song a few times in our free time.

I'm just a step away,

I'm a just a breath away;

Losing my faith today,

Falling off the edge today!

I am just a man,

Not superhuman;