iv. training

"In two weeks, 23 of you will be dead. One of you will be alive. Who that is depends on how well you pay attention over the next four days, particularly to what I'm about to say. First, no fighting with the other tributes. You'll have plenty of time for that in the Arena. There are four compulsory exercises, and then then rest will be individual training. My advice is don't ignore the survival skills. Everybody wants to grab a sword, but most of you will die from natural causes. 10% from infection, 20% from dehydration. Exposure can kill as easily as a knife." The trainer explained as Natalie stood there watching all the twenty-three tributes. She already knew she was going to avoid the careers and the district eleven boy. He looked like someone who knows how to fight in hand to hand combat; she didn't want to know what he looked like fighting with a weapon.

But out the corner of her eye, all she noticed was that the district two boy was looking at her like her head was already on a platter. She shivered at the thought and turned her attention to the trainer who finally announced that they can start training. Natalie almost sighed in relief, she couldn't wait to everyone started so they wouldn't look at her like fresh meat.

Straight away, Natalie knew what she was going to, what she wanted to do but then she remembered what Haymitch said and automatically reconsidered her choices. The only station that was free, was the hand to hand combat. Natalie wasn't the worse at it but she knew that she definitely wasn't the best. She walked over to the station where the trainer greeted her.

Firstly the trainer showed her how to stand probably when you're fighting; which was something she always gotten wrong. Secondly was some of the techniques that could be used. It ranged from where she could cause the most damage to the most simplest punch. After the trainer taught her everything she needed to know, she gotten into place and tried to ignore the feeling she felt like someone was watching her.

Just as Natalie was about to throw the first punch, the trainer stepped forward and kicked her in the stomach before she had time to even register what happened. Natalie wanted to give up and double over in pain but she knew that she had to keep going so she pushed the pain to one side and threw a punch in the trainer's head direction, which sadly the trainer defended by catching her hand.

The trainer let go of Natalie's hand and let Natalie take a second just to think about her strategy. Natalie knew that she sucked but all she had do was at least punch her once so she wouldn't look weak. One punch was all she needed. But then she started thinking of her brother, with how it was the Capitol's fault. Her demermantion soon turned into anger and Natalie punched the trainer in the nose. She would be lying if she said that didn't feel good; she knew that she should of stopped then but she couldn't.

Luckily her brother knew what she was going to do so he ran over to her and pulled her away from the trainer, trying to calm her down. Natalie soon relaxed in her brother's arms. "I hate them" she whispered, hugging him close to her, afraid she'll lose him.

"I hate them too Nat but it'll be okay, I promise; always and forever, remember?" Peeta whispered in her ear.  Natalie smiled and nodded before pulling away to look at everyone, only to find the careers staring back at her. She resisted the urge to give them the finger and looked back at her brother. "I'm just going to get some water, do you want some?" He shook his head and Natalie walked off to get some water.

She didn't know where to get the water but luckily someone stopped beside her and gave her a bottle but it was someone she was hoping not to talk to. She took the bottle cautiously and raised an eyebrow at the blue eyed career which he returned with a smirk "it's safe, I swear"

But she still didn't trust him. She gave him the bottle back, "you drink some first" she replied with a small smirk. He raised an eyebrow before taking a few sips. She waited a couple of moments to see if anytime happened to him. Sadly nothing did and she took a small sip.

"See completely safe" he said with an obnoxious smirk that she wanted to wipe off his face. She rolled her eyes before deciding to pour the water over his head with a smirk. The smirk on his face was instantly replaced with anger. She blew a kiss at him before walking away, hearing him shout at her.

But at the moment, she felt more homesick then ever and for once, wished she could be in her mother's arms.

•••

So I've updated, I was planning to write like a 1000 words and it failed. I couldn't think of a way to continue or finish it but I tried, so enjoy.