x. interviews

IT WAS THE LAST NIGHT BEFORE THE GAMES. Natalie's heart was pounding, her fear escalating until she felt physically numb. There was nothing - or nobody - that could calm her nerves now.

No matter how many times she tried to push down the impending death that was raining down on her, she couldn't.

But as she stood beside her brother, awaiting for the interviews to begin, her nerves was on overdrive. Whereas, the confident career didn't show any show of anxiety.

     The first two interviews had flown by and now it was Cato's turn. The one that Natalie dreaded the most. Judging by the looks on the careers faces, the Mellark knew that had a trick or up their sleeves.

A few minutes in and it was good so far. Ceaser had asked him all the predictable questions, making the citizens of the Capitol fall in love with his fake act. However, Natalie was far more intrigued by the question that was just asked.

     "Is there a certain somebody at home?"

Natalie could sense the teenagers on the edge of their seats, wanting to know if the blonde hair male was on the market. Cato had the Capitol in his hands. If he played his cards right, he would be smothered in sponsorships.

     "No I don't" Cato answered, however he wasn't finished. The final bit of the plan had began and he couldn't be more happy. "Although, I've had my eyes set on somebody here"

As if it wasn't obvious, the four careers turned their attention to the District Twelve female, a smirk present on all their faces.

Nobody else knew their mischievous looks, the gleam in the hatred eyes. Only Natalie. She was alone, unless Cato decided to tell everyone.

     "Do tell" Ceaser persuaded, quirking an eyebrow. Cato continued with his act, capturing everyone's hearts. "She is beautiful" The career confirmed. "Absolutely beautiful"

     "She has such radiant hair, her eyes as bright as the ocean. I think I'm in love with her" Several gasps could be heard backstage, even a couple of thuds appeared. Natalie couldn't believe that people was buying his words, she certainly didn't.

     "Can you tell us her name?"

Cato debated on whether to spill the beans or not, eventually deciding to end with an "she volunteered" to keep the audience engaged.

     The rest of the interviews had finished and only one person was left. Herself. Nothing else happened, all the boring generic questions was answered and the sympathetic cries when Rue appeared.

     Backstage, however, was a horror show.

Natalie held Cato against the wall, a look of anger on her face. She pushed her arm harder into his throat, a murderous gleam in her blue eyes. "you're dead"

Several people tried to pull the tribute away, including a number of peacekeepers. But considering, they couldn't punish her, they had no luck.

     "You speak my brother's name again, or dare to even look at him, I will rip your throat out with my bare hands and eat on your flesh"

Pushing the career to the ground, Natalie adjusted her dress and eventually made her way to the stage. She plastered on a beaming smile, blowing kisses to strange men and waves for people's attention. Anything to help her brother.

     "Well don't you look lovely dear"

Dressed in a simple floor gown, Natalie couldn't be happier. She insisted on a simple dress but came to an agreement with her stylist. The black complimented her pale skin perfectly, her blonde hair trailing down her back like waves.

     "don't you mean ravishing, darling" Natalie told in a teasing tone, although she was mocking both him and everything the Capitol stood for. She knew that it was the presenters fault but she hoped that the hatred would show nonetheless.

Ignoring her answer, Caesar continued with his set of questions. "A 2? Did that come to any surprise?"

Natalie pretended to think about the answer but her mind had already formed one. "Well Flickerman. There is a story behind that but a lady doesn't like kiss and tell"

A few more pointless questions was spoken between the two until Caesar asked Natalie the worst of all. "Only one can win, how will that effect your relationship with your brother?"

That was the question she dreaded the most. She couldn't tell Panem her plan, that would everything but she couldn't lie either. Instead, she opted for the safest one of all. "it won't change anything"

Luckily that was the end of the interview. But like always, Natalie couldn't leave without a grand exit. Of course everybody will be mortified at her next actions but it didn't matter. She was going to die anyway.

"I've been thinking Flickerman" Natalie started, unzipping her dress from the side. She stood up and let the dress fall to the ground, revealing a red nightgown. It was burnt in several places, which of course represented her district.

"Somebody should get lucky tonight" Natalie smirked as she picked up the now useless dress and threw it into the ground. "See you later boys"

     The games had truly changed her.

XXX

this is what happens when I don't plan.
tell me your thoughts please.