vi. the reaping

The days that followed were a blur. Cato was forced to go back to District 2 for his reaping, leaving Natalie feeling afraid. She knew that Cato would volunteer once again to protect her. Peeta and Haymitch on the other hand was different. She couldn't bare losing her family.

     "Is there any way I can volunteer for Nat?"

Natalie stopped short outside Haymitch's house as she heard Katniss' voice. Haymitch must've shook his head as she heard Katniss sigh. "She's pregnant, Haymitch. I can't her let go back."

"She's what?!" Haymitch shouted, startling Natalie. She crept into the house, careful not to touch the door. But the two heard her anyway as the floorboards creaked underneath her feet. "Natalie Mellark, get in here right now."

Natalie went into the living room, smiling sheepishly as she pretended to act innocent. "Oh, hey." Without another word, Haymitch walked over to the young girl and pulled her into a tight hug.

"How long?" He asked the female, pulling away to look at her. Natalie bit her lip, looking at Katniss for help but she wasn't paying her any attention, seemly lost in thought. Natalie sighed and eventually answered.

     "Four months, I think."

"Four months?" Haymitch repeated, cursing under his breath. He hated himself for not noticing the signs, feeling guilty that he hadn't been there to help her. She was still a teenager and was being forced to endure entering the hunger games for a second time. "Have you told Cato yet?"

"No," This time Natalie had avoided looking at the father figure. She knew it was stupid, Cato was bound to found out at some point. It was by pure luck that she only had a small bump which was easy to cover up. "and you won't tell him."

"For Christ sake's Nat. What not?"

"Because Cato needs to worry about himself in the games, not the fact that his fiancée is pregnant."

Haymitch turned around, running his hand through his hair in clear frustration. Katniss looked at the pair, trying to think of a solution and a least a way for Natalie to tell Cato. "You can try and stop the games." She blurted out and added. "At the interviews, tell them you're pregnant. The people in the Capitol love you, it might work."

"And if that doesn't work?" She asked Katniss.

     "Then the seventy-fifth hunger games will have one extra tribute, and no one will dare mess with a pregnant woman."

     "Welcome, Welcome."

Natalie, Peeta and Haymitch stood alone on the podium in front of the citizens of District 12. The three hadn't slept the night before the reaping, all knowing there was a possibility they were going into the games. Natalie and Haymitch had spent their night trying to find potential loopholes, hoping to protect the life that was growing inside of Natalie.

The female sucked in a breath as the anthem of Panem played, showing President Snow talking about the Quarter Quells. She looked for her friends in the crowd, knowing it was going to her last time. There was no way she was going to survive. The tributes were going to be trained killers and Natalie was anything but. She could barely keep herself alive and sane most days.

"As usual, ladies first." Effie spoke, trying to sound joyful as she walked towards the bowl which held one piece of paper. She took the paper and walked back towards the middle, speaking into the microphone. "Natalie Mellark." She read, looking at Natalie apologetically. They both knew that it was going to happen but it didn't hurt any less.

     "Now for the boys."

Just like before, Effie had taken the piece of paper from the bowl and read. "Haymitch Abernathy." She sighed into the microphone, just as Peeta announced. "I volunteer."

Natalie felt her heart stop in her chest, just like it did at the previous reaping. Her hands shook beside her, her breathing turning rapid. She felt arms wrap around her, shielding her from everyone as she clutched at her chest, trying to stop the pain that was escalating. Her legs turned weak as she collapsed against the person holding her.

Rough hands soon replaced the warm ones as the Peacekeepers grabbed their arms and jerked them into the Justice Building and onto the Capitol train. "New procedure." He growled, not letting the two tributes say goodbye to anyone.

As soon as they were on the train, Natalie had vomited into the plant pot close by. Anxiety was clawing at her chest and nothing was going to make it go away. Haymitch held Natalie's hair back and rubbed her back until she finished.

Natalie knew she couldn't keep her secrets in much longer. It was going to consume her and push her past her breaking point. If she was going to die then there was no point hiding it much longer. So the female told Peeta, Haymitch and Effie about Snow's original plans for her; told Peeta and Effie about her pregnancy and last of all, told Effie about her and Cato's secret marriage.

XXX
two chapters in one day? complete shock. short chapter but wanted to get this posted because im hyped.