xviii. the darkness

Natalie was used to the darkness since she was young. It never stopped her then and it certainly wasn't going to stop her now. Unlike her brother, the female thrived in the night. All her best work was done in the early hours of the morning, in the dead of night with only the darkness and silence keeping her company.

Her mind was always restless at night, so she used it to her advantage. Natalie was crouched behind a tree trunk, fallen leaves scattered underneath her feet. She was watching Clove like a hawk with no plan. She simply was acting on her impulses.

Ever since the twins left the Cornucopia, Clove had set up refugee. She built a pyramid of supplies, hoarding it for herself. If anyone dared touched it, they would be dead within a second. She had sent up bombs around the area with the help of the District 3 male, making it damn impossible for Natalie to get close to the Career.

She had studied the pair for hours, waiting anxiously for one to slip up. But it was no use. Not once, did she figure out where the bombs were located within in the ground.

Natalie knew she needed a plan. She had to draw Clove out from her safety net. She didn't care whether the male tagged along, as long as she killed Clove before she could attack the Mellark siblings then that's all that mattered.

However, the one causality she never expected was Cato.

     It was well into the morning and Natalie made little action. She was foolish to think her plan was going to work, especially considering Cato put a spanner into the works.

She considered every possibility but never accounted for the betrayal she felt. The female didn't know why she felt so angry at the male Career, he had every reason to return to his fellow team member. She just hoped he never would.

He saved her but it was just another one of his lies to make her weak. He wanted to make her vulnerable so she was easier to kill. She admits it was a brilliant tactic, she was just annoyed she didn't think of it.

She wanted to believe he was different but with every opportunity, he proved her wrong. She would have to destroy him in order for Peeta to survive, but Natalie knows she doesn't have the heart to.

"Look over there," Cato spoke, jutting his head towards the tree line, where smoke trailed into the sky. Luckily the pile of green that Peeta had set aflame, had distracted the Careers enough to bait them.

Cato glanced back at the new boy, narrowing his eyes as Clove stood up, eager for the idea of a new kill. "You stand guard until we get back." He threatened. The district three boy paled but nodded and held his spear tighter to prove himself that he was capable.

As the pack of two left, Natalie immediately darted into the field, leaping between the mounds of dirt just like she saw the district five female do only an couple of hours earlier. She picked up as much as she could from the pyramid, tucking it underneath her arms, only carrying us much as she could handle. She couldn't risk setting one of the bombs off, not when she was too close to comfort.

As soon as she safety made it passed the treeline, she put the weeks worth of supplies onto the ground and braced herself for the second task. Natalie had to destroy everything the Careers needed to survive without leaving a trace.

The female raised her throwing arm, her knife gleaming against the sunlight. Her heart pounded in her chest, her palms sweaty but she couldn't be distracted. Especially not now, not when everything was on the line.