xvi. monster

Cato was struggling to find closure for the unconscious female. He knew Clove would be on an rampage after Natalie had killed two of their fellow Careers. Even though, it was the Hunger Games, it hadn't stopped them for becoming somewhat friends.

However, Cato was more concerned about Natalie instead. His plan was working perfectly until he truly got to know the Mellark twin. She was willing to sacrifice herself in order to save her brother. There was nobody selfless anymore. The Hunger Games had brought out the worst in people, expect her.

He gently laid Natalie down on the ground, brushing her hair away from her pale face. He couldn't imagine the pain or the hallucinations she must of endured due to the venom from the tracker jackers. He would much rather go through that pain instead of her.

Cato didn't know why but he felt himself wanting to protect Natalie at all costs. Carefully, he laid Natalie in the sheltered part of the cornucopia. He knew it was in plain sight but he hoped there was medical supplies that could heal her.

"Apply maple leaves. They treat tracker jacker stings."

Cato whirled around at the sound of a male voice. Thankfully, it was only Peeta. He didn't like the male but he often tolerated him. Despite Peeta sending Cato and the Careers on a wild goose chase, Cato admired his loyalty to his sister, often making Cato wish he had a younger sister to protect.

However, Peeta felt like he betrayed Natalie. They were supposed to protect each other and he broke it. He should've stayed by her side or done better with his job. They wouldn't be in this situation now, and Natalie certainly wouldn't be on the brink of death.

Peeta couldn't even look at his sister without feeling guilty. So instead of applying the leaves to the stings himself, he let Cato do it. It broke the pair of them seeing Natalie so defenseless and fragile but she had to survive. Natalie had to be one to win.

When Natalie had finally woken up, she wasn't exactly in the mood for surprises, and definitely not a conversation. Peeta hadn't left Natalie alone since, often rushing off to get whatever her heart desired. Food, water...anything that could be found in the Arena, he would get for her.

Natalie hated it. She hated relying on people, especially when she was capable enough. But the hallucinations had shook her to the core, leaving her paralyzed with self-hatred and worthlessness. It had felt so real. Natalie feared that if someone stepped to close to her, she would lash out and mutilate them, like her hallucination hinted at.

As Peeta left to get food or water, Cato was always there watching in the distance. He didn't want to send the fragile teen into a state of panic which could potentially make her condition worse. He wanted to be the one to help her or at least comforting her. But she was alone, and that often scared him.

So when Peeta had returned an hour later, Cato followed closely but was spotted by Natalie immediately.

"What is he doing here?" Natalie spoke to Peeta, looking at Cato in disgust. Natalie hadn't known that Cato saved her. She refused to believe that he can be kind and good. But everything came with a price; if Cato saved her, he would expect the same in return. And Natalie was far too hateful to do that.

"I believe the correct term is, thank you." Cato answered in amusement, a smirk appearing on his face.

Natalie growled, grabbing her backpack and lobbed it in his direction. "You fucking prick. You should've let me die."

Cato had frowned as soon as Natalie finished speaking. There was definitely no way he was going to let the woman he liked die. Everyone thought the bloodthirsty career was fighting for glory, he was at first but now he was fighting for something else. He was fighting for Natalie.

"What are you waiting for? Are you expecting me to go down on my knees and kiss your shoes like a King? We don't need you here." The female spoke.

Despite Natalie wanting the Career by their side, she had to push him away. She was too afraid of what might happen if he stayed. The hallucinations took Natalie's deepest fears and turned them into reality. She was not going to let that false dream become a permanent one.

And with that, the vicious District 2 male had no choice but to leave, leaving the two twins alone in plain sight.

very short chapter, sorry guys. but ive been so busy and writing honestly feels like a luxury i can't have right now. for all those who have stuck by, thank you so much. it's because of you that im keeping this book going.