v. the accouncement

Natalie stood beside Katniss in the forest. It had taken both Katniss and Peeta to convince her to return to place she once loved. She had once it called her safe haven, now it was nothing more than a reminder. But she never told her friends, they already knew. That's why they wouldn't let her do anything but watch, afraid that anything could set her off. It didn't help that Katniss knew her secret. The female hadn't told anyone but she took extra precaution around Natalie nonetheless.

Katniss lined the target of her bow before letting the arrow go. The pair watched as the arrow flew straight into the squirrels eyes. "This should be enough to sell." Katniss said, as she slung the quiver over her shoulder and collected her arrow.

Natalie glanced at the large bundle of squirrels in Katniss's hand, the sight and smell making her want to vomit. She shifted on the spot, using her jacket to cover her mouth as she turned her attention way from Katniss. "Gale promised to visit you later." Katniss spoke.

Natalie sighed and tucked a loose piece of hair behind her ear. "I don't know why he bothers. He just sees me as a monster." Katniss gave the female a pointed look and started to walk toward the electric fence, Natalie following close behind. "He doesn't, Nat. He's blaming himself. He may not like Peeta but you are his best friend, he regrets not taking Peeta's place."

The pair stepped underneath the electric fence and onto the other side. For a moment, Natalie didn't say anything. She hadn't spoken much to Gale since returning from the Victors Tour. "Then why hasn't he bothered to tell me this himself?" She questioned. Katniss shook her head, not having an answer for her.

They stepped into the main square and stopped as the workers of the mines walked in their direction. Towards the front was Gale who had also stopped upon seeing them. He was covered in dirt and sweat from the hard day's work. Natalie sighed and took the squirrels from Katniss. "I'll go and sell these."

     Katniss didn't have a chance to protest as Natalie walked off towards the Hob.

As the victor entered the Hob, she could feel people's eyes on her. She paid them no attention as she walked to Greasy Sae. The elderly woman greeted her with a smile and exchanged her some soup and beans that the Everdeen family liked for one squirrel. Inside, it was easier for Natalie to forget who she really was. It felt like it used to be, before Cato. Before The Hunger Games. But it always came crashing down the moment she stepped outside.

She had sold all the squirrels and traded them for food and other necessities that Katniss and her family needed. She had them all memorized by heart. "No!" A loud, shrill voice broke out. Natalie had immediately recognized that belong to Katniss. The female dropped the items she just brought and dashed in the direction of the inner square.

Natalie would've recognized her best friend from anywhere, even when he was chained to a large whipping post, his back covered in blood due to the whiplashes that bit at his skin. "Stop!" Natalie shouted, pushing passing the onlookers to stand in front of Gale protectively, just as the Peacekeeper raised his whip and struck her across the face, causing her to fall to her knees.

"Hold it right there!" Haymitch's voice rang out. Natalie reached Gale, tears streaming down her face as she pushed his hair away from his face. "I'm so sorry." She whispered. She barely registered when Cato and Peeta arrived, trying to stop the Peacekeeper from doing anymore damage, nor did she register Katniss helping her up and boys taking Gale.

     Deep down, Natalie Mellark knew that this was her fault.

     As the hours passed, Natalie had stayed beside Gale as he slept, often wincing in pain and mumbling underneath his breath. It hurt to see him in so much pain, especially as she knew that she indirectly caused him harm. One day, Natalie would make President Snow pay for what he had done, even if it kills her in return.

"Nat, it's time." Haymitch called from the living room. Natalie sighed and kissed Gale's head before going into the overcrowded room. The living room was crowded whenever Natalie was around, but it was a struggle trying to accommodate three extra people. The female wanted all of her favorite people in the same room, her gut feeling telling her that something bad was about to happen.

"What does everyone think it's going to be this year." Haymitch tried to joke as Natalie sat on her fiancée's lap, leaning her head against his chest. Cato wrapped his arms around her without any complaint. After the conversation she had with Katniss, Natalie knew that she had to tell Cato what Snow was making her do. He was upset and disappointment that she didn't tell him sooner, but he soon got over it. They would find a way out together, like it had been since coming out of the games.

The anthem of Panem played loudly, drawing everyone's attention to the projected screen. At first, President Snow explained the rules for the Hunger Games and how every twenty-five years later there is a Quarter Quell. "On the twenty-fifth anniversary, as a reminder to the rebels that their children were dying because of their choice to initiate violence, every district was made to hold an election and vote on the tributes who would represent it."

"On the fiftieth anniversary," the President continued, "as a reminder that two rebels died for each Capitol citizen, every district was required to send twice as many tributes."

"And now we honor our third Quarter Quell," said the President. The little boy in white stepped forward, holding out the box as he opened the lid. Everyone could can see the tidy, upright rows of yellowed envelopes. Whoever devised the Quarter Quell system had prepared for centuries of Hunger Games. The president removed an envelope clearly marked with a 75. He ran his finger under the flap and pulled out a small square of paper. Without hesitation, he read, "On the seventy-fifth anniversary, as a reminder to the rebels that even the strongest among them cannot overcome the power of the Capitol, the male and female tributes will be reaped from their existing pool of victors."

Natalie felt her heart stop beating as everyone in the room stopped. District 12 only has three existing victors to choose from. Two male. One female...

     Natalie was going back into the arena.

XXX
kinda writing for my own entertainment at this point but oh well.