xiv. the day after

Natalie's feet was killing the next day. She had been walking all day, getting used to the Arena and searching for game. She was used to walking everywhere in District 12, but this was different. Each move had to be quicker then the last and much quieter then usual.

The female thought she was coming into the Games prepared with limiting her food supply and having the mentality to kill. But after replaying the Bloodbath in head was enough to make her want to vomit. She knew she had to kill to survive but it didn't mean she had to accept it. She was gonna have to become a monster she never wanted to be.

Despite knowing her brother was alive and as safe as he could be, Natalie still didn't chance having any food. Her body was becoming weaker due to the lack of nutrition but she kept telling herself...just one more day. Peeta was the only one keeping her sane. 

Natalie hadn't ran into any tributes the night before, but she had heard one canon early in the morning. If her calculations were correct, then there was only eleven people left. Natalie didn't have any doubt in her mind that the Careers had murdered the fallen tribute. 

     The female had hiked further deeper into the Arena before her body finally gave up with hunger and exhaustion. She hadn't stop moving unless it was absolutely necessary. She collapsed against a thick tree and immediately dived into her bag, looking for the smallest food packet she could find. 

As soon as her hands touched the silver packet, she ripped the top off and began eating. Natalie could almost taste the familiar game from back in District 12 as soon as the food passed her lips. She was pretty sure she was going insane already. Either due to hunger or exhaustion, she didn't know. "I'm sorry, Peeta." She mumbled underneath her breath. 

     Hours had passed and Natalie still hadn't ran into any tributes. She did believe that was a good sign, but her gut was telling her something different. The tribute didn't know what the Gamemakers had planned for her. 

Natalie whirled around as soon as she heard a branch snap. She held the knife tightly in her hand, hoping it was just her imagination. However, Natalie couldn't be more relieved. 

She went down on her knees and held out her hand for the wild rabbit to sniff. Hesitantly, the rabbit moved towards her. The Mellark female always felt sorry for animals. They were set up for slaughter. She hated herself for killing all the innocent animals in order for her and several families to live. Humans were truly selfish. 

It was moments like this that Natalie thought she was at home. But as soon as a dagger flew in her direction, she remembered where she was. Natalie whipped around, just as the figure crashed into her.  "Get off, you pig!" Natalie struggled against the person. Totally, not her finest moment. 

     "Did you miss me, princess?" 

Natalie groaned and shoved the person off. Of course, the first person she had to see after twenty-four hours was the one she hated the most. Luckily, the rest of his lackeys hadn't joined in. 

Despite the two hating each other and fighting to the death, the pair hadn't made no attempt to kill each other. Maybe, because they both had bigger plans for the other or maybe they just liked to push each other buttons far enough that it was turning into lust. 

     "You're a dick."

     "Language, princess."

Natalie gave Cato the finger before picking up the knife that had fallen when she was attacked. "Don't get me wrong, the foul language with your gorgeous body is turning me on but your health is concerning your brother." Cato continued. 

The female stopped in her tracks, wanting to get as far away from Cato as she could but hearing him mention her brother made her heart break. "Did you really come to tell me that?" She turned around to face Cato with an raised eyebrow. "I'm perfectly capable in looking after him but instead, you're keeping him with you like he's your property!"

     "You're the one making him your own personal slave! Making him send us on a wild goose chase, trying to track you down! Did you really think I wouldn't notice?"

Natalie honestly thought that he hadn't. She hoped that Cato was dumb enough to believe it. For once, Natalie Mellark was speechless. 

     "Has the cat got your tongue?" Cato smirked, stepping closer to the frozen female. Natalie hadn't noticed that he had gotten so close until she could feel his breath against her skin. 

The pair stared at each other, no one saying a word. They found themselves looking at the other's lips and was starting to lean in until they both heart Glimmer's cackling in the distance.

Immediately, the two broke apart. They were scared about what had nearly happened. but they were more scared of being caught together. Without thinking, Natalie picked her backpack up from the ground and sped off. 

It didn't take long for the Career pack to catch up with the female. With every passing second, Natalie heard Glimmer's shrieks of laughter and Peeta desperately trying to slow them down.  

There was no where for Natalie to hide, apart from in plain sight. Surrounding her was thick oak trees. She knew it wasn't the most sensible idea but she had no other choice. She would rather risk her life in a tree then running until her legs gave out. 

Natalie hoisted herself on the tree, climbing the tree faster then she ever did before. She could feel her muscles shaking but she wasn't going to give up. That's not what Haymitch would do. She vowed to make the father figure proud, doing anything she could to survive until the very end. 

She pulled herself up one last time, swinging over a sturdy but large branch, just as the Careers burst into the clearing. She could hear Marvel, Clove and Glimmer leering at her. She thought Cato would join in, but she was wrong. 

     "Go get her, Cato!"

Cato had no choice but to start climbing the tree. The other Careers would question him otherwise. One by one, he took hold of the branches, too focused on Natalie to notice the weak branch approaching.

     "Come on, Cato!"

Without realizing, he reached for the faulty branch with his body weight on it, only to send him crashing to the ground. Natalie couldn't help the laugh that escaped her throat. "Oof, that looked painful. I think Glimmer might need to give you a back massage."

Glimmer scowled and grabbed an arrow, not hesitating to shoot it in Natalie's direction. Luckily, she didn't have much of a good aim. Natalie watched as the silver arrow flew past the tree canopy. "Better luck next time!"

Just as Glimmer was about to reach for another arrow, Peeta's voiced stopped her. "You know, let's just wait her out. She's got to come down at some point. It's that or starve to death."

If Natalie and Peeta weren't related, she would've killed him by now. But like the cunning sibling Natalie is, she had planned different scenarios for him. And this was one of many. 

     By tomorrow, the Careers will be no more. 

XXX

im so sorry for the slow updates, ive been crazy busy with work and college. but im gonna try and update when i can. i hoped you like this chapter, let me know your thoughts in the comments.