Chapter Fourteen

Kristen's POV

"What would you like? We have grapes, strawberries dipped in chocolate, some different kinds of sandwiches, umm..." Emanual's hand was digging through the basket, his eyes slightly squinted.

The boat was softly rocking in the middle of the calm lake. It was breathtakingly beautiful; the water was so smooth, it almost looked like a huge mirror. Above us was a colorful sunset, the last sunlight streaming through the treetops.

All of my anger had seemed to disappear as soon as he got us off land. It was hard to be angry when I was surrounded by something this beautiful. My eyes went to Emanaul, who was still unpacking the basket. Yes, everything was without doubt beautiful.

"Kristen?" I snapped back to reality and my gaze met his questioning one. When he saw my blank face, amusement glinted in his eyes and his lips formed a small smirk, before a deep chuckle left them.

"I asked you what you would like to eat." I ended up with some chocolate-dipped strawberries and, after trying to decline, a glass of white wine. It didn't take long before I felt a warmth flowing through my veins, and for the first time in forever, I felt like I could relax. Emanual  also seemed to look even better than before, which I didn't know was possible. Or legal.

"So, tell me about yourself." I giggled as Emanual popped a grape into his mouth. His cheeks were just as red as mine felt, and his lips were pulled up in a constant smirk.

"Well, my name is Kristen and..." I paused. My teeth sank down my lower lip and looked down at my feet. I wasn't even close to figuring myself out yet, so how was I supposed to describe myself?

"I honestly don't know what to tell you. Can't you just ask me some questions?" I took another sip of the wine, a warm fuzziness rising to my head.

"What do you like to do? What are your hobbies?"

"I like drawing, kind of. Mostly nature. That's pretty much it." I offered a small, awkward smile before looking over the lake again.

"What about your family?"

"I grew up at my uncle's and aunt's house, with their two kids. It was alright, I guess." I didn't feel like sharing more at all. I didn't want to share how much I hated it there, how many times I had wished I didn't even exist.

"May I ask about your parents?" Emanual's eyes were gentle and kind, as was his voice, but his question still felt like a blow to the stomach. Not only because of my parents absence, but because of what they left me. The photograph.

Fuck. I've lost the photograph.

"What is it?" His expression was full of worry as he asked me, his forehead slightly wrinkled.

"The photograph." My voice was barely a whisper, but he seemed to hear me just fine. My chest started hurting, like my heart was trying to hammer its way out.

"What photograph? Kristen, what's wrong? Tell me." His huge hand wrapped itself around my own all of the sudden, and he pulled me a bit closer. I was lost inside of my own head, trying to figure out how I could even forget it. What kind of daughter am I? 

"The photograph of my parents. I lost it, how could I lose it?!" Every syllable tasted like poison and a tight knot twisted inside of my stomach. My eyes started to water and my vision became blurry. At that moment, I didn't really give a damn about how I looked in front of him. I just wanted to find the photo.

"Calm down, okay? We're gonna find it, I promise. Can you take a deep breath for me?" I hadn't even noticed that I had stopped breathing. Like emerging from underwater, I gasped for oxygen, and air finally filled my lungs. My hands clung to my seat while I focused on inhaling the fresh air. Emanual's eyes were locked on me the whole time, trailing their way from my tense hand, to my fearful eyes. My own flickered from the blank lake to his face and back. 

Emanual's POV

Every time we were close to an actual conversation or she was about to open up to me, something always happened. And I swear, I was going insane. All I wanted was to be with her, be with my mate, and know every little thing about her. Why is it so impossible? 

I was lucky I hadn't broken down in anger yet. As an Alpha, all of my emotions were a nudge more intense. Alphas didn't wish, they wanted and desired. Alphas didn't didn't dislike, they despised and hated. And Alphas didn't like, they committed and loved.

It took every inch of my self control to keep myself seated and not jump over to her. I wanted to hold her, comfort her, but I couldn't. I was forced to watch as she stopped breathing, too shocked over losing some prized photograph of hers. As soon as she started breathing again, I could too. That was till one of my warriors on patrol mindlinked me. 

'Alpha, about seven rogues got past the south-east border. Most of the patrol guards are down and we don't have enough guards to follow the rogues. I've contacted the head warrior, but I wanted to warn you.' 

I stiffened. The south-east border was not many miles away from the Ahx Lake, which was the one we were in the middle of right now. And we were totally exposed. 

"We have to go." I stated and grabbed the paddles. Kristen, whose hands were still shaking and clinging to her seat, gave me a questioning look. Her eyebrows bunched together and she tilted her head.

"What are you doing? What's wrong?" She must had read my expression well, as she clearly knew that I wasn't rowing back to land to find her missing photo. 

"We need to go." She stayed quiet after that, keeping her head turned towards our destination. We moved closer to land quickly, but it almost felt like an hour had passed. I wasn't afraid, of course. Not for me, at least. The only way I could defeat all seven rogues, would be by shifting. Kristen wasn't ready for that. 

_________________________________

hello! sorry for the wait. (and just for a short filler chapter.. sucks, i know).
I hope i'll be able to write more now that i don't have school for like two weeks. 

Oh, and happy holidays! Hope you get a loooot of presents and cookies and family quality time c:

Goals for this chapter is 50 reads and 5 votes 

BTW CHECK OUT MY NEW STORY (ALSO A WEREWOLF STORY). IT'S CALLED THE ROGUE AND THE ALPHA AND I REALLY ENJOY WRITING IT AND I HOPE YOU'LL ENJOY READING IT (PLEASE DO)

-Peaches x