Chapter Seventeen

Emanual's POV

"Are you serious?!" I shouted at Calvin. After snapping the necks of the rogues, I came home to a surprise; the lack of a certain mate. My mate. Either she had stopped running, made a turn or somebody had found her. I didn't know what worried me the most, because no matter what, she wasn't safe.

"Why isn't she with you?" He stood up from the couch, a frown of confusion covering his face.

"A small group of rogues attacked some guards at the border. They were hunting us down, so I told her to run back to the house and find somebody she knew." I explained, running my fingers through my hair.

"You trusted she would obey your orders? You basically just gave her freedom on a silver plate!" Calvin threw his hands in the air as he shouted at me. His face was now scrunched up in an angry and frustrated expression.

"It was either that, or having her watch as I killed the rogues. In wolf form. I prevented her from getting attacked herself and ending up dead!" I defended myself, growing angry, too.

He was about to talk back, I could tell by the way he puffed out his chest and squinted his eyes. But I beat him to it.

"And don't fucking overstep. You're lucky I even let you walk around in my house, around my mate! I am your Alpha, don't forget that." I shouted again, stepping closer to him. He was supposed to show me respect; not yell at me in my own house. It also strongly annoyed me how frustrated and angry he got when he found out Kristen was gone.

"I'm going out to look for her. Stay here. I want somebody home if she comes back." I ordered, leaving no time for objections.

Stepping outside, the cold air embraced me. I prepared myself to shift. I was already slightly hunched over when I heard running footsteps. Only seconds after, a wolf from my pack appeared. After shifting mid-jump, a young man landed securely on his feet. I watched as he hurriedly walked towards me.

"Alpha," he nodded his head in respect. I responded with a single nod, implying for him to continue.

"I'm sorry I came unannounced, Alpha. But my sister found a human in the woods. The girl is unconscious. We tried to mindlink you, but you were blocking out everyone." He was scared of what my reaction would be, it was obvious with his shaking hands and averting eyes. But his words made the fog of worry in my head fade.

"Where?!" He jerked his head slightly at my loud growl. With a drained face, he said: "The northeast part of town. My house is right next to the forest, Alpha." I nodded and barely managed to mumble a 'thank you', before I took off, leaving the clearing within a second. My paws dug deep into the dirt, but I only went faster. 

She's here. She's safe. She's alive.

I repeated in my mind, trying to calm my wolf. We were both agitated and desperate to see her, but I needed to be peaceful when I reached the house. I knew, if I weren't, I would end up running through the house and attacking whoever was near her. We needed her home, safe and close. 

I ran till I reached the borderline between the woods and the town. My territory also included a human town, which almost half of my pack lived in. It was easier for families with children if they lived here, as the schools were closer. And the humans were clueless.

After shifting back, I looked through several bushes and tree trunks, knowing some kind of clothing would be hidden here. A white, simple t-shirt and a pair of basketball shorts were what I ended up with. 

As I jogged closer to the houses, I caught her heavenly scent. The need to run into the house and take her back, was almost overwhelming, but I held back. I just needed to touch her soft skin. I needed to see her, so I knew she was okay. I kept my calm though, and silently walked through the backyard.

As soon as I knocked on the back door, it sprang open. A middle-aged woman stood behind it, excitement clear in her green eyes. She nodded her head at me and put her hand out. I shook it, but kept my face expressionless.

"I'm Miranda Stewart. Pleasure to meet you, Alpha." Her dark, curled hair bounced as she greeted me. 

"You too. I heard you've found a human." I let my lips turn somewhat up at first, offering her a polite smile.

"Oh, yes, my daughter, Alex, found the human girl. Follow me, I'll show you, Alpha." She started walking down the hallway and I was close behind her.

"The girl was so frightened by the wolf in front of her, she slipped and fell down on the ground. Looks like she hit something hard with her head, because she's completely knocked out cold!" She told me, and turned. The scent of my dear mate got stronger, as the woman opened a door. I quickly walked in and found Kristen lying on a bed. Her hair was spread around her head, making her look like an angel. Her chest rose and lowered slowly, assuring me she was actually alive. Next to her, sat a woman, who looked like she was Kristen's age. She stood up when she saw me.

"Alpha." She nodded her head one time and sat down again, after I had returned the nod.

"I will be taking over from here," I swooped her up in my arms, bridal style, not wasting any time. The warmth and sparks of the mate bond spread through my skin, heating up my body again. I had to hold back a sigh of relief.

I nodded at Miranda, who was leaning against the door frame. Steam was slowly flowing from a mug, that both of her hands were surrounding. The woman looked tired, and it reminded me of how late it must be. I wished her a goodnight, before I walked out of the door, and into the woods.

After five minutes of walking in silence, Kristen stirred in my arms. I halted to stop, but she quickly returned to her calm slumber. I couldn't help but start to wonder how she was knocked out. Did the lady say she had hit something with her head? I decided to check now, instead of waiting and risking her wellbeing. Kneeling down on the humid ground, I leaned her against my thigh. My left arm held her head up, while my now free hand slid her hair back. I furrowed my eyebrows as a bruise came into sight. Red, blue and yellow were colouring the skin around her temples. My teeth sank into my lower lip as I briefly ran my fingers over her bruised temple. 

Returning to my feet, I made sure to mindlink Calvin. I told him I was on my way home with Kristen, but that he needed to call over a doctor before leaving. The worry that had left me as soon as her heard she was here, reappeared. 

Again, I felt her body twist slightly, but I continued walking. I was still keeping myself alert to any kind of threats, turning my head at every sound that emerged from the dark forest. The only sound I heard, though, was a quiet whimper from the girl in my arms. I immediately snapped my gaze down at her. Her face was colorless. The blush that usually stained her cheeks was gone. 

A groan escaped her plumb lips, and her hand went up to cover the bruised area. I stopped and got back on my knees, sinking her down to rest on my thigh and arm.

"How are you feeling?" She tiredly gazed at me, as I asked her. Only a brief hum sounded from her. Her fingers grabbed my shoulder and she tried to hoist herself up. I silently watched her. Her face scrunched up, and her hand quickly came up to hold her head.

"Can you hear me, Kristen?" I spoke loudly. My eyes held her gaze, keeping eye contact.

"Yeah." 

"How are you feeling?" I rubbed the back of her neck softly, as I repeated my question.

"My head hurts. A lot." Her voice was still fragile, but it sounded less hoarse the more she spoke.

"We'll be home very soon. And I'll have a doctor check your head before we sleep, alright?" I informed her. I lifted her back in my arms and stood up. Her hand gripped the fabric of my shirt. She didn't protest when I continued through the forest. 

This did not go as planned.

_______________________________

Hey! thank you for reading this chapter :) if you liked it, please vote and comment!!

Goal for this chapter: 12 votes and 4 comments

Take care!