Chapter Thirty-Two

Kristen's POV

It took time for me to realise my eyes were closed. I heard loud noises, but they were distant. A raging roar made me pull myself together and I opened my eyes. The pain of my body suddenly hit me, and my instinct called for me to lie back down and close my eyes. As my eyes blinked closed again, a loud scraping noise sounded right next to me. It sent chills to my neck and a squeak erupted from my throat. As my sight adjusted to my surroundings, a huge paw floated past my face. The claws nearly grazed the tip of my nose. The legs of the wolf thrashed around, and I covered my face with my hands. As soon as the hurricane of the two wolves moved away from beyond me, I hurried up with newfound energy.

The chocolate brown wolf was thrown against the concrete wall. A wail echoed through the dark room and I cringed. That was Sarah, for the other wolf didn't even look remotely the same. It wasn't bigger, but it was broader. A silver colour tinted the greyish brown fur and the yellow eyes were glowing.

While Sarah lied on the cement floor, hopefully gathering strength, the wolf turned its head to me. My entire being froze. The only thought in my head was, "I'm fucked."

The strange wolf didn't rush, it took his sweet time. Each step was slow and taunting. It saw me as an easy task. With every step it took towards me, I moved back.

As the wolf reached my circle of personal space, Sarah's wolf seemed to wake up again. A protective snare echoed on the empty walls. She was limping towards us, visible gashes on her legs and belly. Her fur was sticky with thick blood, but the black eyes were determined.

The wolf had yet again its eyes on Sarah and I took the opportunity to back away. My heart thumped in my ears as I searched for an idea; a solution. The clicking and scratching of extended claws continued behind me, constantly reminding me of the situation.

My legs were practically over cooked noodles. Everywhere in my body, I put my focus on, I felt some kind of pain. Thoughts of Calvin's words kept emerging from my subconscious, making me doubt even doing this. Was Sarah worth saving? Was the wolf Calvin and could I possibly kill him, too? Wasn't he the only person I could trust? Emanuel probably only liked me because of some surreal, werewolf instinct. I felt ashamed for going to him as if he hadn't moved on and forgotten me. He treated me like a captive, a possession for the few weeks I was there. He didn't care, and I should've realised that.

The bag felt cold in my palms and I weighed it briefly in my hands. The long needle rolled between my fingers. It was thick enough to stay intact for what I had planned. Roars and yelps still bounced between the walls and I slowly slid back inside the room with the staircase.

Sarah looked even worse now, but she was still standing. Small puddles of blood were scattered around her. I cringed at the huge open gashes that covered her upper hind legs and near her throat. She was barely attacking the wolf anymore, only attempting to dodge its constant advances.

I watched them for a while. This probably wasn't right and the bag felt heavy in my arms all of the sudden. All I knew was that the wolf was standing in my way to freedom.

"Why are you wasting time on that mutt? I know it's me you want." The cold back was squished up against my back, as I shouted. The wolf perked its ears at me, and a grin almost settled on its face. I didn't move away this time. When the callouses wolf jumped towards me, I ducked towards the floor and rolled. Before I had the chance to get up, a paw struck down on my foot. My eyes widened as a scrambled to escape its grip, but instead, it brought its open jaw down to my lower thigh, slowly sinking its teeth into the muscle.

I didn't notice the piercing scream that rung through the room was coming from me, till I had already lifted my other leg and with more force, than I had thought was possible, kicked its snout. A high pitched yelp sounded and it let go. My arms fought to lift my body up to a standing position, but the pain in my leg was consuming my entire body.

The bag was still protected below my risen back, my left hand pinching the corner for constant assurance.

The wolf strode its way on top of me, it's stretched legs right over my shoulders and on each side of my feet. Deep breaths made its body move like waves and a long string of saliva landed on my forehead as it looked down on me. In its eyes, I was already dead.

Anticipation surged through my body. Shallow breathes bounced in and out of my chest and my thigh was burning and screaming. The pain was spreading through my entire body, and I was too scared to look at the damage.

The teeth glistened in the little light that existed in the room. A nauseating cherry red tongue darted out and ran over the canines. Every tooth was 100 times sharper than the needle that was hidden in my tight fist. The motion of the wolf's head was my cue. As it lowered its jaw once again towards me, this time my throat, I jammed the thick needle into the chest of the wolf. I was lucky to hit between the ribs.

Surprise was evident on the wolf's face and it quickly retreated its head from my exposed body. My gaze was locked on its face as I wrapped both of my hands around the plastic bag. Like a wet cloth, I twisted my hands and arms while squeezing, emptying the thick, silver liquid in its chest.

Its eyes stayed wide for a while, and the large legs around me started quivering. Once again, a wolf landed heavily on top of me and all air was knocked from me.

______________________

I wrote this at midnight in a bus on my way back to denmark from poland.. 19 friggin' hours :) i wish i could and would update more often, but i'm a slow writer unfortunately. (and i've been travelling a lot lately 

I realised that i can't follow the hollywood model anymore as this was supposed to be the final climax but i have more stuff to solve in the story before it can end.. so yeah. this might be a bit different...

Anyways, thank you for reading and please remember to vote! (I love and read every comment this story gets too)

- Mic