Chapter Thirty-Eight

Kristen's POV

"Is this okay?" His voice was low and soft and his warm breath hit my earlobe. Emanual's arm was halfway slid around my shoulders, but before he had fully embraced me, he turned his body and hovered over me. He looked beautiful under the dimmed lights. The flickering light of the candles captured the left side of his face and warmed up the sharp edge of his jaw.

I nodded, content that he asked me before he wrapped his arm around me and laid me halfway on top of his chest. It seemed silly we had waited so long to do this; to be together.

2 months later

"I love that suit on you, seriously,"

"Me, too. I'm surprised he would choose something this perfect," I laughed and slowly spun around in front of the mirror. The room filled itself with comfortable silence for a while. Sarah sat behind me on the wide bed, which was draped in soft cotton sheets.

"Are you nervous?"

"Shouldn't I be? I'm not like you guys, I'm probably gonna stick out a lot." Trying not to think too much about it, I concentrated on straightening the blazer that hung from my shoulders.

"You're destined to be an Alpha, Kristen, everybody knows that. Especially the pack. They know they can trust you," Sarah tried to comfort me. Her gaze met mine in the mirror and she gave me a gentle smile.

I hadn't met many pack members, but I knew they knew of me. Guards had seen me and I had met a few others. Emanual has also told me about the family that found me in the woods when I had run away and hit my head after seeing a wolf. Not to mention everyone knew about Calvin and the scandal involving him kidnapping the future second Alpha. But I hadn't heard of them. I didn't know the behavior and norms around werewolves and whenever I asked Emanual he brushed me off, saying they would be the same as what I'm used to. But I wasn't used to meeting a giant group of people, who expected me to lead and protect them for the rest of my lifetime.

"Do you want to go down and get some tea?" I suggested. Sarah nodded and took my hand, and I followed her down the stairs and into the kitchen.

After two cups of tea, Sarah had left me in the foyer with a kiss on the cheek and a promise to see me later that night.

Emanual walked in a few minutes later. The warm feeling that followed with being mates instantly flooded to my chest and a smile automatically reached my lips.

"Hey, you," I softly said. Emanual's eyes went over my body, which was clad in a fitted white suit, with a silk top underneath the blazer. I blushed, due to his wandering gaze.

"You almost look too good," he stated, a small smirk on his face. His arm went under my blazer and settled on my waist. He was wearing a simple t-shirt and black jeans, but a coat hanger hung from his other hand, with a bag that probably contained a suit.

I hummed and smiled up at him. But another glance at the coat hanger in his hand made my mood shift and my stomach drop. The restlessness came back and itched in my fingers. I pulled away from Emanual and his hold and sighed, picking at my nails.

"Kristen, I don't know if it's a werewolf sense or simply being your mate, but I'm getting the feeling that you're nervous," he lifted one of his eyebrows and took ahold of my hand, stopping me from pulling at another nail. The warmth of his skin dulled the anxiety for a few seconds. I gave him a look, my face turned downwards.