Chapter Thirty-One

(Picture of Sarah)

Kristen's POV

"You really didn't know Emanual was just making her say everything she ever told you?" Calvin asked me, an insulting worried expression on his face.

"She was your babysitter! I can't even count all of the bad things she has said behind your back. The only reason she spent time with you was because she was ordered to do it by him, the Alpha." I looked down at my thighs. I didn't want him to see how well his words affected me. Rough fingers around my jaw pulled my head up again, unfortunately making me look in his eyes. Tears were shaping in my eyes and it didn't take long for them to roll down my cheeks.

"I'm the only one here, who actually likes you."

As I stood over Sarah, watching her be truly tortured, I heard Calvin's voice in my head. Had she really talked badly about me behind my back? Calvin was her close friend, if she had complained about me, it probably would be to him. I didn't move for a while. The thick, metallic liquid slowly trickled through the see-through tube, pumping into her exposed wrist.

I fidgeted back and forth for a small while. My eyes locked on her swollen face. I couldn't create eye contact, as hers were hidden behind bruised eyelids. But I knew Sarah knew I was there. Even if she was death, I'm sure the werewolf sense made her aware of her surroundings. She had gone quiet.

"Fuck it," I whispered, my hands falling to her restraints. Squinting my eyes, I tried to figure out the way to open the silver cuffs around her wrists. A high pitched groan erupted from Sarah. My eyes searched the cause of her complaining and my gaze landed on the cuffs I was pulling and shaking. Her skin underneath the shimmering metal was fiery red. The skin was nearly bubbling and I bit my lip in guilt. Was silver really poisonous to werewolves?

"Sarah, does this have a key?" My eyes flickered over her face, hoping she had the strength to nod or shake her head. Slowly, her head went up and down and another whimper left her swollen lip.

I raised my body and turned, searching for something to free Sarah with. I sighed as a found a key hanging on a hook on the back of the door. This was almost too easy. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion, but I still walked up to the door and retrieved the key. The metal was cold in my hand. I jammed the small key into every keyhole I could find around Sarah and sighed in relief when the cuffs opened and Sarah mimicked. She gasped for air and slowly started to move. I stood still, not knowing whether to help or keep away as she shakily rose her left arm. Her fingers jerked asymmetrically as they moved over her torso, towards the needle which was lodged deep in her lower arm. I watched in amazement as she ripped it out of her arm, and her face transformed. The bruising on her cheekbones gradually matched her glowing skin tone again. Her swelled lips and eyelids sank. The twitching of her limbs stopped and her body looked strong again.

"Thank you, Kristen." Her voice was sincere, but it was harsh. Anger was clear in her eyes and after standing up, she grabbed the chair, throwing it into the wall.

"I'm gonna fill his entire body with silver and mistletoe and sew his mouth shut. Then rip him to pieces with my own damn hands." Sarah thundered, the threatening words rushing from her lips. Deep, loud inhales and exhales sounded from her, as she stood slightly bent over, her hands on her knees. Her back curved upwards, and I stumbled back. The idea of her shifting, while we were alone in a cellar, made my hands shake.

"Sa-Sarah?" My voice shook, and I tried to make it as loud as possible, but it caused my voice to crack. Her back was turned to me, but she looked over her shoulder to meet my frightened gaze. I gasped at the sight of her eyes. The usual kind, brown eyes weren't there. The caramel colour was replaced by a golden orange and the pupils had shrunk into small black dots in the centres of the bright orbs.

My back was pressed against the wall as Sarah changed. Her bones dislodged themselves and the dirty clothes she had worn was shredded off. My legs were noodles while I watched. A lump had formed in my chest and I held my breath. Sarah's skin followed every movement and bump along the shift. It became pure elastic, hidden under fine hairs, turning to thick fur.

My mind was already fading due to exhaustion at this moment. The giant wolf standing before me only made my head dizzier. Her fur was a solid chocolate brown. The surreal eyes glowed in the dark room and I didn't know what to do. Was she still in her human mind? Was she someone completely else?

My chest bounced up and down with every breath I took while my eyes ran over the animal. Her back came up to my mid-torso, and I had to remind myself that it was Sarah. She shook her fur and sniffed around the room for a small while before she looked at me. As she threw her head so her snout pointed to the door, a whine left her big body. My legs were stiff as I realised she wanted me to follow her out the door. The claws clicked against the cement floor. She was barely strolling down the hallway, the speed of simple power walking wasn't enough. The hairs on her back were lifted, pointing up in different directions and her head was low, mimicking the tilt of the floor.

The pound in my head and drought in my entire body roared inside of me as I tried keeping up with the wolf. As she jumped up the stairway, hope was evident in my tired head. It was difficult to comprehend when Sarah flew back down the stairs, clashing into me like a bowling game.

_________________________

Yay, another chapter. I felt like it didn't take as long to finish as usual but maybe that's just me. I have no idea how many chapters are left but not many I think

if you enjoyed please don't forget to vote!

(and comment if you'd like)

-Micah