Prologue

Ross looked with panicked eyes at the guards running towards him. He immediately ran, the first aid kit and bag of food in one hand, the other held over his opposite shoulder to keep it from becoming even more out of socket, as it had been dislocated the day before. He sped up his pace and jumped over a fence, making sharp turns and going down thin alleyways, trying to lose them. He was fine with going to the dungeons, or dying, or even going into slavery, but only after his family was taken care of. The nineteen year old found himself at a dead end, a chainmail fence blocking the way. He immediately started climbing, jumping over as soon as he got go the top and running down the street. He pulled his hood further onto his head, hiding his hair and glasses even further. He slowed down as he neared the woods, walking down the familiar path, reaching a cabin in the woods. He opened the door, walking in, greeted by three little boys, who all jumped onto him, tackling him in a hug on the ground. He laughed, standing and looking at the brunette, the Raven haired, and the blond boy in front of him. "Hey Seto. Hey Jin. Hey Lachlan. Guess what I brought?" He asked calmly but excitedly, somehow at the same time, hiding the bags behind his back.
"A pile of butter?" Asked Jin. No one knew why, but he and Seto, un-identical twins, called things weird names, like gold was butter, cats were muffins, and bears Bacca's. Which was very strange, because not all bears were 'Bacca's'. Just certain ones. And only certain cats were muffins. But all gold was butter. Ross shook his head sadly.
"Sadly not. We're not that lucky."
He muttered.
"A new sword for practice?!" Asked Lachlan.
"What's wrong with the current one?" Ross asked curiously.
"It broke when I was training on my own. Sorry." He muttered, looking down. Ross laughed lightly.
"It's fine. It was wooden anyways." He said, smiling at the nine year old, receiving a bright one back. Seto looked behind his back.
"Food and medical supplies!" He said excitedly.
"Cheater..." Mumbled Jin, earning a slight laugh from them.
Ross walked over to one of two bedrooms, entering hesitantly after knocking.
"Hey Mom." He said, smiling at the blackish-brunette woman with once tan skin turned pale. She'd gotten sick, and eventually it got so bad she became bedridden. She fluttered her eyes open, squinting. She smiled upon noticing it was her son. Ross walked over to her, sitting on the bed next to her and rubbing his hand across her knuckles. "I got you some medicine!" He said half cheerily, pulling out the first aid kit, filled with the medicine she needed. It was in a needle, supposed to be injected once a day for a month. It had just enough for that. He lifted her wrist, injecting the liquid into her bloodstream. He was now thankful for the nursing job he'd had before they let him go because of money cut backs.

He lied it back down next to her, getting up and leaving to the kitchen after kissing her on the forehead. He got some of the food out and made a simple dish of cooked vegetables and waters. He gave a plate and a water to each kid, going back to the room and spoon feeding his mother. He could go a bit longer without food if it meant they got it.

After he finished that, he went into the room, noticing the late hour. He convinced the young ones to get to bed so he could tuck them in, doing so and telling them all a story. After they were asleep, he wrote a note and put it on the counter before slipping out. He may never come back, he realised. He sighed, clutching his enchanted 'butter' swords' handle and slipping into the night, cloak over his head.

Dear Family,
Ross here. I left to fry and get more supplies, if possible. If I'm caught, give Mom her shots once a day, Seto's in charge of that. Jin, you're making food and getting more once you run out. Lachlan, you keep them safe. I'm trusting you all. Keep up your studies. I love you all.
- Ross

A/N: actually pretty happy with this. Next chapter is currently in the works. Love you all!!! - Destiney The Totally NOT Obsessed Fangirl