Chapter Six

Thanksgiving break came and passed. Jean didn't go home until Thanksgiving day, where he ate with his family and then left the next morning. But, surprisingly, he had a nice time. Family from a few towns over came to visit as well, which didn't leave much time for Jean's parents to piss him off.

On Thanksgiving night, Jean received a FaceTime call from Marco. He groaned in protest, but had eventually answered. Since the night of the party, they'd just grown closer. Every day they had new things to talk about, and they found things they had in common, and even shared inside jokes. Sometimes when they were hanging out, Marco would say something that would remind Jean he was gay (like compliment a guy on campus or joke about a girl not being his type) and he would be surprised. He often forgot all about it.

Marco was grinning when Jean answered the FaceTime. He looked like a dork. A lovable dork. "Hi! I just wanted to say happy Thanksgiving! And I also wanted to ask what our homework was in Art History..."

"Hey. Thanks. You too." Jean told him their homework, and Marco thanked him.

"It's really nice to be home again," Marco sighed. "The dorm rooms are so tiny."

Jean looked around at his own room, which was mostly empty, and shrugged. "I don't know... My room isn't much bigger than our dorm."

"You should show me your house!" Marco suddenly said excitedly.

"You really don't want to see it..."

"But I do! I'll show you mine. I'll even let you meet my dog." Marco smiled.

Jean knew his parents and family that was staying over would be asleep by now, so he agreed, putting in headphones so Marco could still talk.

He switched to the back camera, first showing Marco his room.

"It's kind of empty," Jean said. "I brought a lot of my things with me when I moved out." Then he showed Marco the upstairs, downstairs, and even their backyard. It didn't actually occur to Jean why Marco wanted to see his house until afterwards. Marco's major was Interior Design; he loved seeing how people decorated their houses and getting ideas.

"Okay-" Jean sat back down onto his bed. "You can show me your house now."

And so Marco did. He stood up, and first showed Jean the room he was in. The room was large and spacious, with bookshelves, red, draping curtains, and a queen-sized bed against a wall. "This is my room-"

"Hang on... You're joking, right?" Jean asked.

"No? Why?"

"Well... It's huge. You have a flatscreen tv mounted to your wall. And... Is that a bathroom connected to your room? You have your own personal bathroom??"

Marco laughed softly, sounding a bit embarrassed. "It's really my room... I guess you could say my parents make a lot of money. My dad's a lawyer, and my mom's a doctor."

"That's incredible," Jean said. "You're really lucky."

"I guess so. But, in the end it just means I hardly get to see them..." Marco paused for a moment. "Anyway, I'll show you the rest of the house now."

As Marco showed Jean around through FaceTime, Jean was amazed the entire time. Marco, as kind and sweet as he was, was a spoiled little rich boy. But despite his huge house and maid, he somehow stayed good, and didn't let money turn him into a stuck-up person.