Chapter Nine

They met Ashton at the bowling alley Saturday night, buying a lane and getting on their bowling shoes.

"So, you're the famous Freckles," Ashton joked as he sat next to Marco. "It's a pleasure to finally meet you."

Jean rolled his eyes. "You didn't even know the name of my roommate until the other night."

Marco just laughed. "It's nice to meet you, too. Jean has said a lot about you."

Ashton smirked in Jean's direction. "He has, has he?"

Jesus, what was I thinking? Putting Ashton's sarcasm and Marco's innocent friendliness together was not a good idea.

"Whatever. Let's just bowl, alright? I'm going to get a drink. You two want anything?"

"I want a Coke!"

"I'll have a cherry Dr Pepper, please!"

So he went to get the drinks, leaving the two to talk by themselves. Sure, it was a dangerous thing to do, but Jean had to leave and let his cheeks return to their normal color.

Marco and Ashton were both his friends, but they were also more than that (unfortunately). They were boys he had both kissed. And if Ashton said one little thing about the other night.... Jean thought he might kill him.

Ashton and Marco had the game ready to go when Jean returned with the drinks, balancing them dangerously in order not to spill one. Ashton was up first, and he dramatically--and flamboyantly-- flung the bowling ball down the alley.

Marco laughed when he saw Jean, and grabbed the cherry Dr Pepper. "Thanks, Jean. I really like your friend; he's funny!"

"Ha... His humor sometimes creates problems, though. Did he bother you too much?"

"Oh, no, not at all!" Marco glanced at Ashton as he finished his bowling round. "Well, guess it's my turn."

Neither Jean nor Ashton were very good at bowling, but Marco was pretty experienced. His excuse was that he came here last year all of the time, when this place was the hangout for his group of friends.

Jean thought it was really dorky that Marco and his friends would bowl in their spare time. But... he also thought it was cute. That's what Marco was, really. He was this strange paradox of dorky and cute, with no way to tell where the dorky-ness stopped and the cuteness began.

A part of himself hated that he had thoughts such as those. The other night he did something stupid and then ran from Marco. Now, just the same weekend, he was thinking about how cute Marco is?

I blame Ashton. Making me think I've fallen in love with him or something... I mean, can you imagine? In love with another guy?

He wasn't homophobic or anything, obviously, since he had a gay roommate. But he could never imagine himself being with a guy.

"Jean, you're up, bro!"

Jean picked up one of the bowling balls that felt pretty heavy, but not too heavy for him to pick up. He really didn't know anything in the slightest when it came to bowling and the best techniques; all he knew was that you were supposed to knock down the pins with the heavy ball. Sounded simple enough, right?

He flung the ball gently down the lane, smirking as he watched what would become an impressive victory. Except, instead of happening the way he imagined, the bowling ball veered towards the gutter before it fell in, hitting one pin on the way.

"Whoo! Go, Jean!" Ashton cheered, sarcasm laced in his tone.

Jean felt his cheeks heat up as he turned around, glaring at his friend. Ashton was smirking, his lip ring being pushed down.