Chapter Fifteen

Marco must have came into their dorm early in the morning, when Jean was asleep, because his things for class were gone and he never showed up.

It wasn't until after classes that day that Jean finally had to head to Reiner and Bertholdt's room. He guessed Marco was still staying with them.

He knocked on their dorm door, and tall, gentle Bertholdt answered. He smiled widely. "Oh, Jean. Are you looking for Marco?"

"Yeah. Is he here?" Jean asked.

"I'm sorry, but he isn't... He left about an hour ago," Bertholdt said. "He seemed pretty upset... Did you two get into a fight?"

"Kind of, yeah. But I'd really like to patch things up with him."

"He left to go to the music room... But I don't know if he's still there. If you'd like, either Reiner or I can send you a text if Marco comes back here."

But Jean was already mapping out where the music room was in his mind. "That'd be great. I'm going to check the music room, though. Thanks, Bertholdt!"

He turned on his heel and headed for the stairs, leaving Bert standing in the doorway alone. Just before Jean started descending the stairs, he heard Reiner say, "Hey Bert, who was that?"

Jean felt bad for not saying hi to Reiner while he was there, but he also didn't have time.

He'd never been to the music room before. It was on the east side of campus, also close to the auditorium where they put on plays and concerts. Jean had only known about Marco going to the music room a few times. He went there after class hours, when the band room was open for anyone to use, to play the piano.

When he got to the music room (it was actually more of a music building, with multiple classrooms to use), he listened for piano playing. There was a violinist playing along with a flutist, creating a nice, heartwarming melody. But Jean trekked on. And finally, he heard it. The soft playing of a piano. He peered into the classroom window, and sure enough, there was Marco, sitting on the piano bench. His long, slender fingers pressed down on the piano keys, lingering longer on some notes than others. He didn't seem to be playing anything specific at the moment; just frowning down at the black and white keys.

Jean opened the door quietly and shut it behind him. Marco's head snapped up from the piano as he heard the door shut, and his expression suddenly changed. Jean couldn't tell if he was happy to see him, or still angry...

"Marco... I was worried about you all day. You could have told me you didn't plan on returning at all," Jean said, walking closer. He cautiously sat down on the bench next to him.

"You could have texted me. Or even came to find me," Marco said.

"Well I'm here, aren't I?"

Marco sighed and glanced away. "Yeah... I guess you are."

"Also, I thought you'd want your space..."

Marco just shrugged, and finally met Jean's eyes. "I guess I should apologize first. I know you won't..."

Jean ignored him. Mostly because he knew Marco was right. 

"I'm really sorry I got angry at you and left. I shouldn't be mad at you not wanting to share your thoughts with me. I know you like to keep to yourself," Marco said.