Chapter Twenty-Four

A year passed. During Jean's senior and final year in college, Marco picked up where he left off on his junior year. The year seemed to go slowly, but it was filled with such progress. Marco's casts were taken off, and he was up and walking, and soon he no longer felt any aches or pains in his body at all. Everything had started to go back to normal, as though the crash didn't happen. Marco and Tate didn't get in touch very often after they mutually broke things off, but Marco didn't mind much. He had Jean.

With acceptance from their families and friends, their relationship blossomed. Jean visited Marco at his home every weekend until they both started university again in the fall, and they got a dorm together once again.

Some days it was difficult. Some days Marco's leg would for some reason hurt, and he would miss a few classes. Jean would always do his best to help him catch up. Some days they disagreed over tiny things, which would turn into big fights.

They also had their embarrassing moments. Like when they first opened up about their relationship and Connie and Sasha had to stand up on a table at a party to give a big speech, like it was Jean and Marco's wedding. Or that other time when the two of them stayed alone at Marco's for a weekend, and Jean finally decided he was comfortable enough to finally have sex. It was awkward, and slow, and it didn't last very long, but it was a big accomplishment for them.

But, most importantly, there were many, many happy moments. Jean picked up his photography again. Right around the crash and during Marco's recovery, he didn't even think about picking up a camera. How could he? He couldn't see any light or happiness before Marco woke up, and afterwards, Marco was the only light and happiness he saw. He was all Jean cared about.

As soon as Marco could walk without the assistance of crutches, he wanted to go everywhere. Every spare moment they had, he was dragging Jean out to go somewhere else. But Jean didn't mind.

Now it was the end of Jean's senior year. The very end. It was his graduation day.

The sun was warm on his skin as he held his degree in his hand. It was a bit of a relief to actually have something physical to hold for all of the hard work he did. And it was really nice to actually know where he was going from there. He'd gotten an internship at a magazine in the photography section. Yeah, he'd probably spend his first few months serving coffee, but it was a start.

Jean jumped lightly as he was suddenly hugged from behind, and he smiled as they spoke, recognizing the voice.

"I'm so proud of you, Jean."

He turned around to see tan skin, gentle freckles, and dark hair. Jean hugged his boyfriend tightly, overjoyed, but he also felt a bit of guilt tug at his heart.

"I'm sorry we couldn't graduate together," he murmured, gripping Marco's jacket with his fingers.

Marco pulled way slightly; only far enough to look at Jean's face. "It's okay, Jean. We spent two years of college together. We're hopefully going to spend several more years together. What's one little graduation day?" He asked with a smile. "Not that it's a little day for you. It's a huge day. But you know what I mean."

Jean nodded in return. He let his hands hold Marco's. There were still scars on his forearm, lighter than the rest of his tan skin, forever a reminder of the incident. Jean's fingers lingered over the marks for a while, catching Marco's attention. Marco hated his scars. Of course, who doesn't hate scars and imperfections on their body? But Jean treated the scars as though they were his favorite things about his boyfriend. He was always planting kisses on them, tracing his finger along them, and always always telling Marco he was being ridiculous when he fretted over how he looked because of the marks.

He hugged Marco once more. "I love you so much."

Marco pressed his lips against Jean's cheek for a moment. "I love you, too." Their word for a feeling more than love never stuck. Whenever they said it they just ended up laughing and not sounding very sincere.

They had to take so many pictures after that. Jean had to pose with Marco, with his parents, with his parents again, with Connie, Sasha, Armin, Eren, and Mikasa. Reiner and Bertholdt came as well, both of them saying they never believed they'd come back to that place. And then Jean went back to Marco, tired of pictures, but his parents continued to take pictures of the couple. Anywhere Jean was, their little silver 2011 camera followed.

"Hey," Jean said, letting his fingers entwine with Marco's. "What are we gonna do after this?"

"Well, I imagine we'll have to start getting ready for the celebration dinner at your parents' house-"

"No," Jean said, a small smile on his face. "I mean the next few days. Weeks. My parents are helping me pay rent on that apartment as a graduation gift. Are you just going to stay in that little dorm on campus?"

Marco's face lit up as he realized what Jean was talking about. "Are you serious? You'll let me move in with you?"

"Of course. Who else is going to clean up after me?" He smirked.

Marco punched his arm gently, and they both laughed.

"So, whaddya say? Want to be my roomie again?"

"Definitely." Marco wrapped his arms around Jean's waist and pulled him in for a kiss.

Jean smiled against Marco's lips, closing his eyes. He no longer cared if anyone was staring. He no longer cared if anyone around was homophobic. He was going to live his life with Marco the best he could. He had everything he could ever want or need. He had his own little perfect, unique, freckled love. And he was going to hold onto it forever.