F I V E

Justin's POV

"Are you asleep?" I opened my eyes, searching for where the quiet voice came from.

Of course, it was Elle. She's the only other person in the house. She was standing in the dim light door way. "No," I sat up, resting my back against the wooden headboard. "Just thinking." She came towards the bed, sitting down on the edge.

"I can't sleep." She sighed, "I don't know what I'm going to do." She mumbled, looking down and playing with the long sleeves of her sweater.

"About what?" I looked at the side of her face, not seeing much cause the dark lighting of the room.

"I don't want to bore you with my problems." She scoffed, looking toward me then back at her sleeves. "I just wanted to come talk."

I moved over making more room for her, if she wanted it, "Let's talk then." I've spent the past week at her house and I've learned her favorite cereal is Lucky Charms, she can make banging chilli, and she really likes Drake and Future's mix tape. "Who taught you how to make that chilli?" I smirked, even if she couldn't see it.

She took my previous spot on the bed, laying down on her back. Her hair fanned out around her, even tickling my arm. How can girls handle so much hair? I'm getting tired of mine honestly and I miss my natural color.

"My ma, obviously." She laughed lightly, "She tried to teaching me how to cook other shit but the chilli is easiest to remember."

"Where is she? If you don't mind talking about it." I laid down beside her, looking up at the ceiling fan. 

"No, it's totally fine but she's back in Texas with the rest of my fam."

"How come you're here in Miami?"

"Why not? "I thought it'd be fun to come live on my own in a new place."

"How old are you?" Elle doesn't look older than eighteen.

"I'm twenty, you?"

I was a bit surprised to hear that but looks can be deceiving. "Twenty-one until March." That's overwhelming to think about, I remember just turning sixteen.

"True," there was pause before she spoke again, "are you from here?"

"No, I'm from Canada." The difference between Florida and Canada is mad, like right now the weather is probably above twenty degrees while here it's humid and hot. I like it though, I guess.

"What made you come to Miami?" I was expecting this question being I asked her the same but I didn't know how to respond. Do I tell her the truth or make some shit up?

"What do you wanna be when you grow up?" I pulled the comforter over me, Elle keeps it really cold in here, and turned on my side facing Elle. I figured a change in subject was needed. I didn't wanna tell Elle the reason and she judge me. She doesn't seem like that type of person though, she's sweet and kind hearted. She welcomed me in her home when she doesn't know shit about me but still.

"When I grow up?" She laughed, her laugh made me smile. She's cute and I like how she always smells like sugar cookies and shampoo. "I used to say a singer."

"A singer?" I propped my head up on my hand. "You can sing?"

"That's what everyone says."

"Really? Lemme hear something." I smirked watching the side of her face, the dim light from the hall barely lit up the room but I could see her face from this close and I like her lips.