Secretly Not Keeping Secrets

Chapter 4 Secretly Not Keeping Secrets

I spent the night with Annika again and told her I couldn't find the witch but I would try again if he does not get better soon after Valtok dragged me back. I do go back into the woods by myself to find solace in the quiet ancient trees and to get away from Ann's crying, I don't go near the witch again though. Its better to be out there instead of in the castle were Valtok is ignoring me and my sister cries like she's the one dying. I know he's watching me most days when I do that and I know it hurts us both when he does. I haven't even seen Valtok since I was looking for the witch either, I don't think he wants to see me after that. I'm not surprised I didn't even want him to be the one to stop me.

The door to Charlie's room opens and the twins walk in holding each other, I don't know why they came today when he's been here for 2 weeks now. I guess they think he's going to die too. Annika takes their presences that way too and bursts into tears, I get up and comfort her feeling to numb to do anything else, maybe with a hug she can barrow some of my numbness. "Father wants to see you, Sylenia." Delilah, one of the twins, says flatly and takes my place with Ann. I nod and touch Alexia's arm as I pass her at the door.

"Don't upset her, lie if you have to but do not tell her what you're thinking." I whisper harshly and squeeze her arm then leave. I wander through the stone halls taking my time to get to father not wanting to talk to him, or anyone for that matter, but I find father soon enough in his study sitting behind his huge wooden desk looking over some parchment.

"Delilah and Alexia said you wanted to see me?" He nods and motions for me to sit in one of his overly stuffed chairs in front of his desk.

"Yes, thank you for coming dear. I wanted to ask how you're doing?" I shrug a little surprised.

"I'm doing fine, father I mean Charlie's wound is troubling but I'm not in as much pain as Annika is." He shakes his aging head making the chains around his neck and his gold earring jingle.

"I meant how are your stitches holding up, good I'm assuming." My eyes widen from shock.

"Did Valtok tell you?" I ask slightly betrayed.

"No, did he know?" My father asks surprised folding his hands together on top of the parchments cluttering up the ink stained desktop.

"No, no he just suspected I was hurt. But father how did you know about my stitches?" I lie for Valtok easily.

"Lynn told me, she said you told her you fell?" I nod relieved.

"Yes, I was practicing throwing the knife you gave me and I tripped on my dress, it was an accident." I wave away his concern quickly.

"Maybe I shouldn't have given you that knife." I shake my head surprised he would think that.

"No, father the knife was a perfect present it was just an accident that could have happened with anything." He nods surprisingly cold to me.

"All right, just be more careful." He says looking back at his papers, I take that as my dismissal.

"I will I promise." I stand and leave him. Deciding to go to my room for a short rest but instead I find him sitting in my window. "Why are you here?" I ask softly closing the door.

"What? I cant stop in and say hello?" He smiles and I see madness in it.

"No you cannot, Carver!" I snap and he only laughs.

"Sylenia, or should I call you princess like your lover does?"

"So, you saw that?" I ask dismissively referring to me and Valtok by the tunnels. It wasn't anything romantic but the tunnels were where we would meet.