Untitled Part 27

"What do you mean she doesn't know how?" I hear my father bellow from his tent to mine. "Let me see her!" I hear him stomping to my tent. The closer he gets the more pain my eye seems to be in until I hear them stop outside of my tent.

"Sir it would be unwise to just barge in." I hear Wolkif whisper as he guards my tent. I cover my eyes so they don't see the bloody tears streaming down my face from the shame of being treated like a child and the unbearable pain throbbing through my eye and most of my skull.

"Sylenia?" I hear him ask softly just before fathers hand rests gently on my shoulder.

"Please I just want to be left alone."

"I know, but I need to ask you a question." He says so softly and with so much pity for his half blind daughter shame forces tears from my eyes and a sob from my throat.

"I don't know how to heal my eye, I can't, please let me morn for my sight in peace." His hand leaves my shoulder and I hear his steps retreating.

"I am sorry my love, I'll find a way to fix it."

"Just leave me be." With that he finally leaves me and I take my hands from my face and lay them in my lap. I curl up in bed letting my tears soak the pillow and blood stain the linens. No one visits me anymore except a few fairy girls who bring me new bandages and anything I need. I know they're all just waiting for me to come out on my own but I don't want to face my new world just yet.

2 fairy girls followed by a large black dog enter my tent. They place the bandages down as they normally do and leave me to clean and lick my wounds alone. Except the dog. He sits at the entrance watching me.

"I know this is crazy but I've seen quite a bit of crazy lately. Can you speak?" I ask bracing myself for the shock of his reply. None comes he simply blinks and Cocks his massive furry head. "Finally something I can rely on; animals not talking." I get up and begin undressing my eye slowly peeling the bandages away and watching them fall off in a small mirror. I softly dab at the tender skin cleaning the blood with a small wash clothe. The dog keeps his big golden eyes trained on me. "Are you my new guard dog?" His shaggy tail thumps on the ground. "I'll take that as a yes." I sigh. "Come on if you're gunna sit there you might as well help me." I nod my head calling him over. He sits beside me and I turn to face him. I've decided to use him to help me focus and heal my eye like I did with my arm.

"Now if you see any change in my eye wag your tail. Ready?" I ask making sure he understands me. His tail thumps in the ground and me meets my eyes. "Perfect." I take a deep breath.

Thinking back to the nurse in Solsteck and what she said while I was fixing my arm. I picture the wound. Not just as I saw it but as it feels deep below the skin. All the skin and muscle and bone that ripped and shattered under valtoks sword. It begins to throb then ache. I see the bone mending in my mind then I feel the tiniest spark of magic against my eye, then a few more. Suddenly pain screams through my body starting from the wound and blood begins to drip from it. I break eye contact to grab a clothe for my eye and the pain slowly dissipates. I finish dressing my wound as the dog whimpers for me.

It is another late night, as it always is, because sleep doesn't come easily anymore. I've started walking and exploring the camp when starring at the top of my tent with my good eye gets boring. After being here for a week letting my eye heal and practically being held prisoner I'm more than a little ready to leave but I guess when you cant see and don't know where you are running away isn't a good idea. exploring the camp without a bodyguard has been fun seeing as I sneak out a hole someone cut a into the back, not me of course... I've watched what they do at night. Most of them sleep but some wonder like I do. Even Tolfae or whatever his name is sneaks out at night, I don't know where he goes yet maybe I'll follow him another night. My wolf sleeps somewhere else probably because I haven't seen him except some mornings before anyone else wakes up. I haven't even seen Wolkif but I know he's here because they tell me he visits when I'm asleep, just checking in. He never comes when I'm awake. I've even asked for him but they say he doesn't want to see me. I want to see him though, at least he's a familiar face and I wouldn't have to see these random healers anymore.