A Night I Wont Remember

Chapter 7 A Night I Wont Remember

I walk around more exploring the castle like when I was a child remembering all the little passages and the places to hide, a secret room or 2 even mother doesn't know about but soon it gets dark and servants run through the halls, their arms full of food and silk getting the ballroom ready. I make myself walk back to my chambers to find a dress that my mother wont turn her nose up at. Although she turns her nose up at everything I do. Opening my heavy door I find a dress laid out across my bed, it's a beautiful velvet gown with blue, green, and purple splashed across the fabric and sparkling beads laid out in knotted patterns across hem and bodice. A little note sits on it.

I had the liberty of having this dress made a few nights ago

so you'd have something beautiful to wear for your sister birthdays.

Wear it tonight.

—The Queen

Of course she'd already picked out a gown for me. Its is beautiful though, perhaps I will wear it. I call in my own handmaiden to help me with it because it laces in the back, she tightens it enough so I almost cant breath then leaves me to my mess of hair. The bodice is a corset itself and hugs me wonderfully, the skirt isn't as puffy as my mother loves gowns to be on me, instead it flows down my hips to brush against the ground around my feet softly. Cloth hangs off my shoulders to drape around my biceps hiding the brand my mother would faint at seeing on my right arm. It fits me perfectly surprisingly since I was never measured for it. I twist my hair up as best I can using braids and pins so it doesn't all fall apart then place my little gold tiara on that mother insists we wear for these balls. A servant comes as I finish putting on a necklace of amethyst with a dainty gold chain.

"The Queen wishes to see you before the ball." I nod and he leaves with a bow. I put on my simple green slippers and walk to my mothers chambers. Instead of knocking I walk right in knowing that if she's expecting me knocking would be pointless. I softly close the door and look around her chambers, theres are dresses thrown about and jewelry scattered on the dressing table like she had a fit and threw things as her maid again.

"Mother?" I call moving further in picking up scattered things as I go. I get no answer, "Mother? The boy said you wanted to see me?" I try again.

"Oh I'm sorry to disappoint I'm just borrowing your mothers rooms to talk to you for a moment since you hate me being in yours." The Carver says coming out from behind a curtain I look around for a weapon since I forgot his knife. "Don't look so frightened love, I only bite when you beg remember?"

"What do you want from me now?" I snap slowly making my way to the dressing table for a sharp pin I know my mother keeps cleaning as I go so it looks natural.

"You know I've never seen a royal clean before, I mean just look at your mothers mess." I roll my eyes.

"I'm not going to ask again, what do you want from me?" He shrugs.

"Nothing yet, I just wanted to talk to you and tell you not to trust the new Princess, she's here for your sisters crown and your assassin cause they have quite the history." I make it to the table piling the dresses on the chair and start 'straightening up' the jewels.

"What do you mean she wants my sisters crown?" I try to keep him talking.

"She's going to assassinate your family and blame it on him."

"Thanks for the warning, you can leave now I think I have it handled." He laughs.

"You never have it handled, at least not without me."

"You're not my knight in shining armor, you made that clear the first night we met." I see the pain across his face and I feel satisfied for a moment to finally cause him pain like he does to me so often. "I think its time for me to leave, I have a ball to go to." I leave the pin turning away from him and walking out keeping my spine as straight as I can so he doesn't notice how my hands shake.