Untitled Part 26

Valtok comes to my room later, he softly opens the door and closes it. "I'm sorry I was so harsh before, I have realized I cannot make you do this on your first mission. Not when you have become so close to the target. That was my fault." He turns to face me.

"I understand."

"He still has to die tonight and I would like it if you left before hand so you don't have to see what happens." I shake my head and he sighs.

As the sun begins to set Valtok drags me to the inn to confront Ak'ballas brother, I know he means to kill Ixir but I follow along hoping Ak'balla is already gone. Once we reach the tavern surrounded by men I slow to a stop behind a house thinking this through, if he goes up to those men he'll start a fight but if I go they'll let me in and I can let her go. "Valtok!" I snap quietly making him stop before rounding the corner.

"What?"

"They trust me, let me do it. Let me go in there and kill him." He thinks for a moment and looks me over.

"I don't think that would be wise."

"Why? If you go in you die if I do he does. I don't see any fault in that." He shakes his head.

"This is your first mission, I can't let you run headlong into that place and get yourself killed, you're the princess."

"Ixir is faster than you, he will see you coming just like last night. He trusts me, Ak'balla trusts me, they wont see me coming." I step around him, "Now you need to trust me, stay here." I put my hand on his chest and he softens at the touch. I turn and leave him. Walking past the men camped outside the tavern I find the place packed with more men and Ixir. "What are you still doing here?" I snap coming up to him savagely.

"Ak'balla said to stay, so we stay."

"If I tell you to leave you should be halfway to Kwaylar right now." He looks away from me and begins to turn away. I slam my hand onto the table causing all eyes to turn to me. "Where is Ak'balla." She walks slowly down the stairs looking at all the men around her.

"Right here, what do you need Amichoko?"

"I need you to leave this place before anyone gets hurt or killed, you're brother is in danger and I cannot protect you both." She rolls her eyes.

"You do not need to protect us, Amichoko, we can protect ourselves."

"I know that you can but I was sent here to kill Ixir with another assassin, he wont let you go like I will. Please Ak'balla leave this place with your brother."

"We do not run and hide, not from your king, not from what he has done to your people here."

"I know he has done awful things and if we succeed in killing Ixir he will do things that are much worse. You have shown me the man he is and I promise you I no longer serve him and by letting you go he will never want me back. Leave if not for you, for me." She looks at me as if she's about to give in and leave but before she can say a word the door to the inn bursts open and Valtok stands with his sword drawn. I pull my knife from my belt, "I'm sorry." I say to Ak'balla and rush Ixir even when every bone in my body rebels against the idea of hurting him with it, even though I know someone will stop me. I some how make it to Ixir and grab his shirt collar forcing him to stay still as I press my blade to his side between his ribs ready to plunge into his heart. "I don't want to hurt you, play along." I whisper scarcely moving my lips.

"Just want I wanted to see. Don't let me interrupt, you kill him." I barely twitch before a man could grab my arm and bend it back making my drop my knife which Ixir scoops up and slices my leg open. I fall painfully to my knees as fighting breaks out between Valtok and all of their followers. My knife falls to the floor in front of me and I look up at a horrified Ixir.