Enough Lies To Last A Lifetime

Chapter 15 Enough Lies to Last a Lifetime

    "That's funny cause I don't remember you raising me." His smile falters and I feel some satisfaction in it. "If you are really my father than where were you just now while I was being attacked? What if I didn't get out of that just now, what would you have done, 'dad'?" I snap letting my anger get the best of me and press the knife harder against his neck. "Would you have let me be raped, again?" The words tumble out of my mouth as hot, angry, tears prick my eyes.

    "That was never the plan, I wanted to see how well you could fight." He says with a simple gesture as if it was nothing, I can hear the lie drip from his tongue like acid.

    "You wanted to see if I was worthy to be your daughter. I hope I failed because I would never want to be your daughter." I pull my knife away and step back then thrust the blade into his gut and run to the back of the tent cutting a hole and escaping into the forest. I know Wolkif will follow me because his loyalties lie with his king and family before me. That has become apparent. I just hope he gives me the head start I just made for myself.

    I run for a while using the full moon to see and not bothering to clean up my tracks or be subtle, he'll still find me if I crawled up a tree or crossed an ocean. Finally when I get too tired I slow to a walk then stop completely when I feel a drop of water on my hand. Thinking its rain I look up but not a single cloud hangs over me only stars who have no idea whats happened tonight.

    "Why are you crying?" I turn my head to the sound of a woman's voice. She stands half behind a tree peaking out at me.

    "I'm not crying." I say but lift my hand to my cheek anyway and feel the wetness. "Oh." She smiles and comes out a little more. "I'm having a rough night." I say shrugging.

    "Well, at least it will end soon."

    "That sounded a little threatening, but you're not scary so I don't now how to feel." She laughs and comes out from behind the tree and more into the moonlight. Her light brown hair turns silver and her skin even seems to glow in the moonlight. She is heartbreakingly beautiful with her soft features and gracefully long limbs. As if she knows why I'm starring she blushes a faint pink adding color to her freckled cheeks.

    "I'm not threatening you at all, I just mean that the night will end and a new sun will rise."

    "I guess that's true enough, but what's been done tonight won't just go away with a new sun." She nods sympathetically.

    "I'm not much help. Perhaps you would just like to talk about it?"

    "It's a long story."

    "I have a long night." She walks closer to me then past me making me follow her. We walk, well she floats and I stumble into everything trying to keep up, to a little meadow where she lays down in the tall grass and waves me over. I lay down beside her.     "Don't you love full moons?"

    "Yeah they are pretty nice." She smiles and I'm struck again by how beautiful she is.

    "That's enough awkward small talk, tell me about what's going on." She says as if we've become friends instantly and already over the awkward stage of it. Oddly I don't think we needed the awkward stage at all, it feels as if we've been friends for much longer than we know.

    "Where should I start? The part where my whole life might be a total lie? That I got kidnapped by a man who murders people and carves into them? Where I beat the shit out of another man who said he loves me?" She giggles at the last one.

    "Boys are hard to handle and that sounds like the most fun part, but how about we start from the beginning?"

    "That's the longest part."