Kill Me Like You Mean It

Chapter 16 Kill Me Like You Mean It

    I find myself back in the kings tent seeing a large stain of blue on one of the many carpets littering the floor. A little satisfaction squeezes out of my chest at it. This time Wolkif restrains me with an iron tight grip on my arm that he wont relinquish even for the king himself. We know, he asked.

    "Good to see you again."

    "Its been an hour and I stabbed you, so I doubt that."

    "True, but niceties seem to be where you think you came from so I thought I would try them out."

    "Thats disappointing you didn't seem like a liar to me, at least you had that going for you." He laughs wiping dried blood from his neck, the little cut I left him is gone and he doesn't seem to have been freshly stabbed.

    "I wish I had known you better so this could have gone smoother. Sylenia, you are my daughter and I know that is a lot to take in but this is not the time for letting it sink in." He leans back against his desk, "There is a war going on and I need you to fight."

    "With you? You think I believe a word out of your mouth? Thats adorable but I am human and the man who raised me is my father." He presses his lips into a thin white lines expressing his anger and frustration in that one look.

    "This isn't about who raised you this is about your part in the war. You have a great destiny and I want to help you with it, as the father I have wanted to be for all these years." My own frustration gets the better of me.

    "I don't have a destiny, my life is not controlled by the gods you worship it is controlled by me." I look savagely at Wolkif and tug on my arm. His eyes widen but he releases me. "I do not play a part in your war and I am not the daughter you're looking for so don't make me into her. I am going home tomorrow and one of your lapdogs is going to take me." I turn and walk out of the tent flaps and go to the medical tent to sleep on a cot. Everyone leaves me alone surprisingly.

    I wake up in morning to the sun in my eyes and I sit up looking around to find the woman from earlier looking over a man with a large smile and an even larger scar on his face. She looks over at me and scowls. Something about her reminds me of my mother. Then she walks over to me and stands in my way. "Why are you still here?" She stands before me and places a hand on her cocked hip.

    "I'm waiting on a lapdog to take me home." I stand fixing my shirt. She doesn't move an inch making us stand face to face, our noses almost touch.

    "Good, Wolkif doesn't want you here anyway." I realize its her jealousy that reminds me of my mother. I laugh at her attempt to intimidate me.

    "Obviously since he has you, I mean that's what you think this is about, right? That he actually does want me here? Don't worry I don't want to be here as much as he doesn't wants me here and a bit of advice; don't be so jealous, it's not your color." She scoffs but moves aside letting me pass. I knew we weren't going to be friends, especially now. I walk back to the kings tent letting myself in. He's slouched in his great chair behind his desk looking at papers spread before him reminding me of my father. I somehow walk close enough before he notices and sees that there small colorless drawings of a bright smiling woman and a young boy switching between a smile and a frown as he grows up. Then I notice just one small one, barely the size of my palm in the middle of it all, a little girl. She's only 3 years old with the curliest hair I have ever seen, it blocks her eyes and she's using her hand to hold it up.

    I know her face, she never let her mom put her hair up, not that she could even wrestle the mess up on a good day, and her eyes are still a vivid green, I see them everyday in the mirror. "Oh, Sylenia, I didn't hear you come in." He swipes the pictures off his desk into a drawer. But he misses one by his elbow, it's a drawing of the girl much older. Her nose is a little too crooked but it's a very skilled likeness.