Chapter 1.4 (The seven lionesses)

(Timetable Gryffindor first years)

Be a girl with a mind, a woman with attitude, and a lady with class. -unknown

The Hogwarts castle
Scotland, Great Britain
September 1 1991

At last, the desserts disappeared, and Professor Dumbledore got to his feet again. The hall fell silent.

"Ahem....just a few more words now that we are all fed and watered. I have a few start-of-term notices to give you. First years should note that the forest on the grounds is forbidden to all pupils. And a few older students would do well to remember that as well." Dumbledore's twinkling eyes flashed into the direction of the Weasley twins.

"I have also been asked by Mr. Filch, the caretaker, to remind you all that no magic should be used between classes in the corridors. Quidditch trials will be held in the second week of term. Anyone interested in playing for their House teams should contact Madam Hooch. And finally, I must tell you that this year, the third-floor corridor on the right-hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a very painful death."

Artemis's mouth fell open. "There's something seriously wrong with this school." She muttered.

"He's not serious?" Harry asked Percy silently.

"Must be." Said Percy, frowning at Dumbledore. "It's odd, because he usually gives a reason why we're not allowed to go somewhere...the forest's full of dangerous beasts, everyone knows that. I do think he might have told us prefects, at least."

"And now, before we go to bed, let us sing the school song!" Cried Dumbledore. The other teachers' smiles had become rather fixed. Dumbledore gave his wand a little flick, as if trying to get a fly off the end, and a long golden ribbon flew out of it, which rose high above the tables and twisted itself, snakelike, into words.

Hogwarts, Hogwarts, Hoggy Warty Hogwarts,

Teach us something please,
Whether we be old and bald,
Or young with scabby knees,

Our heads could do with filling,
With some interesting stuff,
For now they're bare and full of air,
Dead flies and bits of fluff,

So teach us things worth knowing,
Bring back what we've forgot,
Just do your best, we'll do the rest,
And learn until our brains all rot.

Everybody finished the song at different times because they all had to choose their favourite tune. At last, only the Weasley twins were left singing along to a very slow funeral march. Dumbledore conducted their last few lines with his wand and when they had finished, he was one of those who clapped loudest.

"Ah music," he said, wiping his eyes. "A magic beyond all we do here! And now, bedtime. Off you trot!"

The first years followed Percy through the chattering crowds, out of the Great Hall and up the marble staircase. The paintings whispered and pointed as they passed and Percy led them through doorways hidden behind sliding panels and hanging tapestries. They climbed more staircases, yawning and dragging their feet.

Artemis was just wondering how much farther when they came to a sudden halt. A bundle of walking sticks was floating in midair ahead of them. As Percy took a step towards them they started throwing themselves at him.

"Peeves," Percy whispered to the first years. "A poltergeist." He raised his voice. "Peeves...show yourself." A loud, rude sound, like the air being let out of a balloon, answered.

"Do you want me to go to the Bloody Baron?" There was a pop and a little man with wicked, dark eyes and a wide mouth appeared, floating cross-legged in the air, clutching the walking sticks.