Chapter 1.8 (The green light)

(Drawing I found on pinterest...Whoever made this...WOW! I saw it and I was speechless. There is one drawing for each year and you can actually see Harry grow up and it's just gorgeous. So in case it wasn't clear, I do NOT own this work of art and I have no idea who did make it.)

The best gift you are ever going to give someone: the permission to feel safe in their own skin. To feel worthy. To feel like they are enough. -Hannah Brencher

So the first chapter in which Artemis's background story really starts to take form. I'll admit the whole story is going to be rather complicated in further chapters and I've been trying to make sense of my own ideas for a while now. If you have any questions just comment or send it to me through message. I hope you like it.

♡♡♡♡

The Hogwarts castle
Scotland, Great Britain
September 23 1991

It all started with a light. An emerald green light. It was bright, pretty and familiar but consuming and depressing at the same time. The light was cold. A sting of ice crept up her bare arms. Someone was crying but she was sure it wasn't her. As she looked around she saw more green. But this green was friendly, light and trustworthy. Someone was in there with her and that someone had the most beautiful emerald green eyes. Maybe green wasn't only bad.

And then she woke up. Nox was sitting on her face, meowing loudly. His big grey eyes looking concerned. He patted her cheek with his small paws until she sat up straight. "Goodmorning, buddy, did I wake you?" She smiled a small smile as she petted him.

For as long as Artemis could remember she dreamed of a green light. She didn't know where it came from or what it meant but she knew it was important somehow. She could feel a certain pain everytime the green blinded her vision. The pain always began with the sun and moon mark on the front of her right shoulder and seemed to move down her arm until it stopped at her finger tips.

The mark had been there since forever. Her parents told her it was a weirdly shaped magical birthmark.

Artemis scoffed at the memory. She had always been great at telling a lie from the truth and her parents lied more than any other person she knew.

Artemis placed the cat back on the bed and gave him a kiss on the head. "Thank you for waking me. It was that nightmare again...I'm going to take a shower and we can explore the castle a bit after that." He meowed in agreement.

She got up from her bed and saw the others were still asleep. She sighed and gathered her clothes to go take a shower. She wouldn't be able to sleep anyway.

She took a long, hot shower trying to pretend that the nightmare didn't shake her as much as usual. But it did. She got it almost every week and it never got any easier.

Now that she was older she knew what the green light must have been. Avada Kedavra, the Killing Curse. The worst of them all. And those eyes, how she had dreamt of those eyes.

The nightmare changed a bit sometimes, showing more details. She knew that the owner of those beautiful emerald-green eyes was dead. She had seen the life being sucked out of them as the poisonous green light hit the person they belonged to. It was a girl, she was sure of it. A very pretty girl with a flawless pale face and dark red hair.

After her shower Artemis dressed herself and walked back over to her bed where a small bundle of black fur was laying on one of the pillows. "Nox." She held out her arms and the fluffball jumped in them. She kissed the top of his head again and walked out the door.

It must've been around six in the morning and Artemis wasn't even sure if she was allowed out of the common room at this hour.

"Goodmorning, Miss Lupin." A gentle voice greeted her. She jumped around and saw it was the wise headmaster Albus Dumbledore, smiling kindly down at her. "What are doing out of bed this early?"