Chapter 3

Lorraine's POV

I was up before the sun arose that morning. Ed and I were going to lecture at a university for a professor Ed has known for a long time. It was a bigger university, but we were used to lecturing big classes. We were used to have over two hundred people in the lecture halls. One professor really wanted us to come and speak in his class. Ed and I talked about it, and decided we would do it.

I sat in the passenger seat an Ed drove. We were heading for Providence, Rhode Island. We loved to travel and lecture, lucky for me, Ed is a morning person and likes to drive. I on the other hand am a night owl, and drive at night. I have never been a morning person, even as a child.

I found it getting harder and harder to keep my eyes opens as she drove down the highway. There was no traffic, it was too early in the morning to try and stay awake in the car. It was still dark as we drove towards the college. We always left early in the morning to get breakfast, and eat lunch before we went to the college.

"Lorraine," I heard in my sleep. I was in the middle of a dream, and when I heard my name it was not in place. I slowly opened my eyes and turned my head to look at Ed. "We made it."

I rubbed my eyes a little bit trying to wake myself up, and make it look like I didn't just wake up. I fixed my hair and made sure my makeup looked okay.

Ed came over and opened my door for me. I stepped out and he shut the door. I stretched a little once out on the pavement parking lot.

"I'm glad it's lunch time," I commented as Ed and I walked into the small diner. Ed smiled at me and opened the door for me to step inside.

I found us a spot and sat in a corner booth. Ed slid in beside me and we both looked over our menus and ordered. Or course I had to have coffee with my meal. Ed and I sat and discussed the topics we would lecture the students about.

"You guys are Ed and Lorraine Warren, right?" A man asked once he walked up to our table.

"Yes, we are," Ed answered him with a small smile. I looked up at the man and studied him for a moment. There was something off about this man that was talking with us. I tried to shrug it off, but I wasn't able to do so. There was something dark about the man.

I frowned a little as I saw something dark attached to his back. I looked away once he looked at me. I gave him a smile and went back to sipping my coffee.

Ed and the man talked for a few moments. Ed answered many questions the man had. I held my breath and once he left I was able to release a shaky breath.

"Lorraine, what's the matter?" Ed asked growing worried about me.

"There was something dark about that man," I whispered to him. He took my head and held it tight.

"Lets finish our meal and we will go ahead and go," he said understandingly and kissed my temple.

Once we had finished eating Ed and I quickly left. Ed paid out and I went ahead and went to the car. The man had followed me out and tried to corner me. I kept my cool and walked passed our car.

The man continued following me around. I think he was possessed, but I wasn't going to say anything. I stopped once Ed came outside, he noticed the man.

"Jesus," I whispered and the man growled at me. I turned to face the man and he was raging with anger.

I stepped out of the way as he lunged at me. Ed came running over and pushed me behind himself. I held on to the back of his shirt.

I turned back towards the diner, and ran inside. I told them they needed to call the police. That is exactly what they did. I ran back outside, and Ed had ahold of the man.