Chapter 11: Breaking His Routine

"I think we can both acknowledge that the fighting has to stop," Mr. Lewis says. Casey sits across from his desk, enduring the lecture in silence. "But, in this case, I can acknowledge that you were provoked. Once Brayden is out of the nurse's office, I'll be talking with him."

"What does that mean for me?"

Mr. Lewis sighs, removing his glasses and cleaning the lenses on the edge of his shirt. "I don't think any kind of detention or in-school suspension makes sense. You're only here a few times a week, as is."

"So...?"

"So, I'm going to take an alternative approach. Clearly, you need a healthier outlet for yourself. Ms. Somerset brought to my attention that there are some volunteer opportunities that you could take advantage of."

Casey stiffens. The principal keeps talking, listing things out, but all Casey can picture is his apartment, the stack of papers, and April, just trying to help...

"Is that something that would work for you?"

He blinks, shakes his head. "Uh..."

"If you need some time to think, that's fine, but you need to choose something. Let's say you come back and let me know what you've picked next Monday. A whole week. Sound good?"

Casey's mind scrambles, putting together pieces. Okay, sounds like he needs to find somewhere to volunteer at? Guess it's better than spending even more time in this stupid school.

He nods.

Mr. Lewis clasps his hands together. "Perfect. Now, I don't want to see you back in this office until then, alright? Let's keep things peaceful, Casey."

"Yes, sir."

----------

He gets back to his locker only to sigh and press his forehead against it. The cool metal soothes the heat still plaguing him. His nose has stopped bleeding but man, he's still feeling the punches. As much as he hates to admit it, Brayden isn't someone to mess with. He's used to throwing down, just like Casey, although it seems like he doesn't keep it to the ice.

But Casey Jones has fought man-eating tigers and inter-dimensional aliens. He can handle one stupid teenager.

He raises his head, looking up and down the hallway, lingering on every patch of shadow even as he opens his locker and gathers his bag. There aren't many shady spots—behind a garbage can, the water fountain. No sign of Shadow. Maybe she went home for the day. Maybe she went to "shadow" a class.

Casey snorts at his joke just as the intercom buzzes.

"Casey Jones, please report to the main office. Casey Jones, to the main office."

"I didn't do anything!" he says out loud to the empty hall.

But, he's already caused enough trouble for himself today. He hikes his bag over his shoulder and storms back the way he came. The principal's door is right next to the main office, and he bypasses it to let himself in. The receptionist glances up at him and then gestures.

"You have visitors," she says.

He blinks a few times, confused, before he turns around and notices the two people seated nearby. One is a buff guy with green eyes and auburn hair, tied back with a red headband with raggedy tails, and the other is a girl with curly brown hair, hearing aids, and distinctive scars marring her face. Even a mutagen patch can't hide those.

"Raph? Des? What are you doing here?" he asks.

"Annalise said you got in a fight," Destiny says, getting to her feet and moving to him. "Did you get a nosebleed?"